Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

auto fill dates in excel

• Please log in to reply

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

I have just set up an accounts page in excel so that I can keep track of our spending.  I enter for example "01/01/2012 move to the adjacent column and enter the amount.

I have tried to enter a date formula to save me having to enter the full date each time I make an entry, but if I type "02" and then move to the adjacent column to enter the amountit reads "02/01/1900 , can anyone tell me how to get round this please?

Advertisements

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hello Submariner a sreeshot would be very helpful to see what you've done and understand what your trying to do .

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

You can type the current date using the keyboard shortcut CTRL + ; to get the ";" in some keyboards you have to use CTRL + SHIFT + ;

Excel have some functions for date and time but they will change in every calculation, probably something you don't want.

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Hi Vi-Sion, 

not being too au fait with this computer malarkey not sure how to add a screen shot

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Usually u can take a screen shot by clicking fn+prtsc and then open paint paste it there,save it then upload it.

MichaelMarks

MichaelMarks

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

I still don't get it dude. You better put some screenshots or video for us to understand.