Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM slot not functioning. Need help/suggestions, Please. (Resolved)

RAM eMachines RAM slot

Best Answer phillpower2 , 03 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

Again you are quite correct, there is no disputing that the OP can replace the board due to it having a defective memory slot but with the following proviso; "you do not need to acquire a new... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

I had the #1 RAM slot go bad on my computer. It is an emachines model EL133G, Windows 7 Home Premium. It came with a 500 GB hard drive and 2 GB of RAM. In my opinion that was not enough RAM to begin with. But anyway, awhile back my PC began freezing up quite often. A local Tech said I needed more RAM. With the #2 slot being burnt out or no good, what are my options? I was told replacing the slot is tedious and expensive. My question is, can I add a 4GB stick to the #1 slot alone, without damaging the PC? I've been told this particular emachines PC can handle 4 GB of RAM but not more than that. Can I add one 4 GB stick to the good slot and be safe? Are there other options I don't know about? A friend mention something about using a PCI 32 Bits Riser Card Extender Flexible Extension Cable Ribbon attached something called a riser board with 6 memory slots that plugs into to another slot inside the PC. I have no idea what he is talking about. Besides, mine is Windows 64 bit, not 32. Mainly, I am respectfully asking anyone in the know, if they would kindly lay out my options (if any) to get up to 4 GB of RAM. 2 just won't cut it. Thanks in advance and I am attaching two JPG images for reference. BTW, if it's ok to add a 4GB RAM stick to the #1 slot, which RAM would I need? I'd appreciate that info very much. Thanks again!

2015-12-27 07_53_02-System.jpg

2015-12-27 07_55_19-Program Manager.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello †_Moose_†,

The information that I can find on your MB says it has two memory slots and a maximum 4GB capacity, this suggests that you cannot use anything more than a 2GB stick I'm afraid, I would suggest that you run the Crucial system scanner tool though to confirm this, see my canned text belowl

NB: Can I ask why you have post in such large and bold text, the reason that I ask is because as posting on forums goes it implies aggression and shouting  :(

Use the Crucial system scanner tool here to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details, let us know what is suggested and we can take a look for you. 

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

The motherboard was designed to be able to communicate with up to 2GB of RAM per slot.

A known-good replacement motherboard (eBay?) would probably be the cheapest solution.

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Hello †_Moose_†,

The information that I can find on your MB says it has two memory slots and a maximum 4GB capacity, this suggests that you cannot use anything more than a 2GB stick I'm afraid, I would suggest that you run the Crucial system scanner tool though to confirm this, see my canned text belowl

NB: Can I ask why you have post in such large and bold text, the reason that I ask is because as posting on forums goes it implies aggression and shouting  :(

Use the Crucial system scanner tool here to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details, let us know what is suggested and we can take a look for you. 

I wasn't being aggressive or "shouting." I used a larger font because the default is so small. I appologize if you took it that way. I meant no dissrespect.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Press [Ctrl][+] a few times to increase the size, [Ctrl][-] to decrease it. (Or, while holding down the [Ctrl] key, scroll the mouse wheel forward [larger] and back [smaller]).

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

So if I understand you correctly, if I tried using a 4 GB Ram stick in the one good slot, I could damage or ruin my computer? ..... oh, and Happy Holidays to you as well!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

The manufacturer states it was designed to address up to 2GB of RAM per slot. If it were capable of handling more, most manufacturers would extol the virtue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I wasn't being aggressive or "shouting." I used a larger font because the default is so small. I appologize if you took it that way. I meant no dissrespect.

No problem, I didn't take it one way or another and just wanted to make you aware of how it may appear to others, forum etiquette so to speak.

The Doc is right of course but did you confirm it for yourself by running the Crucial scanner tool.

A known-good replacement motherboard (eBay?) would probably be the cheapest solution.

Your Windows 7 licence is an OEM type meaning that if you upgrade the MB you will have to purchase a new product key, you cannot reuse the present product key with any MB upgrade.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

True but, if you replace it with an identical motherboard, Microsoft will usually let you slide. When you try to re-activate Windows, use the call-in method. It's all automated, You read off a set of numbers on the screen, then he gives you some numbers to type in and bingo, it's activated/registered. I've done it many times, and some were even eMachines.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
 if you replace it with an identical motherboard, Microsoft will usually let you slide. 

Quite correct and the reason why I emphasised that upgrading the MB would require the purchase of a new product key;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.

Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

If you have a full retail disk and a product key that is not in use on another computer the OEM restriction/s is/are not the same.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I've done this several times (replaced motherboard on OEM system) and all I had to do was use the automated phone system to activate.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Didn`t say that it couldn`t be done only that legally it shouldn`t be done, the reason why the information was provided is twofold, 1: We are obliged to provide the most sound, accurate and where a product key is concerned license guidance. 2: Any member that is provided with the information but chooses to ignore it and subsequently gets locked out by Microsoft cannot come back and say that they were not informed of all of the facts.

No one needs to take my word for it, Microsoft are quite clear on it;

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the Microsoft Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by those terms. The Microsoft Software License Terms are a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer, and relate only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Yep, "for reasons other than a defect".

Dictionary.com > defect

• a shortcoming, fault, or imperfection:

• lack or want, especially of something essential to perfection or completeness; deficiency:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

Again you are quite correct, there is no disputing that the OP can replace the board due to it having a defective memory slot but with the following proviso;

"you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

Not sure why there is such a debate going on about this, the OP has two options that will avoid the need to purchase a new product key, obtain a like for like board and be able to use 4GB of Ram, no upgrade involved or stick with the present board and 2GB. 

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

... the OP has two options that will avoid the need to purchase a new product key, obtain a like for like board and be able to use 4GB of Ram, no upgrade involved or stick with the present board and 2GB. 

:thumbsup: I wholeheartedly agree.