Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reproduce File Structures

• Please log in to reply

maddog10

maddog10

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Hello I've got several external hard drives and transfer files into them and the problem is arranging them in the same structure as the master copy without spending hours recopying them and potential passing on corrupt files.

So Is there a program that will copy the tree structure of the master HD into another HD...Arranging the files in the target disk to match the master HD where they exist and mentioning files that are not there or are surplus

Obviously without just copying from the master again and again.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts

Hi,

If I understand your question correctly FreeFileSync can help doing what you want.

Edit: Make sure that during the Installation you select custom Install and op-out the extra stuff offered to install that isn't needed.

Edited by SleepyDude, 28 December 2015 - 08:59 AM.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Thanks gives me something to work out before I know if it will be helpful

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

I've had a look, but doesnt seem quite right as it does not detect moved files. It deletes files on the target that already exist in the wrong position and copies the same file over from the source. It should just rearrange them. I don't understand the detect moved files option that requires a 2nd synch. Surely if I do the 1st synch then its made a copy...so does it just delete all the newly copied over files and and then rearrange all the files that were originally there. Why isnt there a bulid database to detect moved files precursor search.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts

Hi,

The only program I know of that can detect the moved files like you describe is Microsoft SyncToy https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=15155

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

I didn't like that Synctoy program at all. I could not get it to do what I wanted and it was very basic with hardly any ability to change options on the 3 available synchs.

However while researching tonight I found this which has managed to do what I wanted and I will research it further.

https://www.syncovery.com/overview/

Edited by maddog10, 24 January 2016 - 05:15 PM.