Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clipconverter.com downloaded malware on MAC El Capitan

malware mac

• Please log in to reply

brenbroussard

brenbroussard

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have a macbook pro with El Capitan running .

I was at 

clipconverter.com and it said I needed to update a player like flash or something... I realized it was malware when it told me the same thing later.

I think it installed Adobe Air along with an uninstaller. I tried uninstalling but when i do it just says Adobe Air was installed successfully.

Also, I have 2 files in my trash that will NOT delete. I accidentally changed their Names to P and P2. These I beileve are the same files that have showed up in my finder window on the left. Below the FAVORITES section that lists shortcuts to "Desktop" Applications" Documents" is another heading called DEVICES:  One is called "installer" and the other is VLC 2.2.1.

I can't delete them!!!

Should I install Malwarebytes?

Please help!

UPDATE:

I've been able to delete the 2 files from the trash. I found their counterpart file listed as "DEVICES" in the FInders Window (Below the FAVORITES section). Therefore, I was able to eject them like a mounted disc. Only then was I able to empty the trash.

Meanwhile, I've downloaded AVIRA software and so far a scan has found 11 alerts. I'm wondering if I should also downlown Malwarebytes too. 

Edited by brenbroussard, 28 December 2015 - 11:42 PM.

Advertisements