Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iphone Sync

• Please log in to reply

Sophie23

Sophie23

• Pip
  • 2 posts
While travelling in Canada, my iphone was synced with a Samsung phone by someone in Australia. What does this mean please and what information will they get from my phone and how did they do this? Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

kendy43734

kendy43734

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Can you provide more information? Normally, iPhones don't "sync" with android phones. If you mean you received an email alert saying that your phone was synced with a Samsung phone then it means that someone has access to your email and used it to log into their device. This can mean they have access to your google account which can include but isn't limited to, contacts, app purchases, gmail, and more. I would simply secure the email. Change the password, add 2 step authorizations. Also, find out if your password has been changed. If so, you might need to change or secure one of your recovery methods (recovery email or security questions). Hope that helps

Sophie23

Sophie23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Kendy, thanks so much for your reply. When it happened, I couldn't access any emails. I've since changed my password and everything's been fine since. I looked at Devices and Activity and got the following info - my iphone was synced with a GT-19300 phone, the time it was synced and it was done through Chrome 18.0 browser. I was in Canada at the time it was synced and the person who did this was in Australia! I just can't believe how someone can do this. What info of mine do they need to have of mine to access my phone half way around the world? Thanks for your reply.

Edited by Sophie23, 03 January 2016 - 09:00 PM.

kendy43734

kendy43734

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

A few things. Firstly, there's a program called Bluestacks which acts as an android emulator. As I've used this myself, I noticed that the device they emulate is the GT-19300 so they could've been using Bluestacks. If they were, that means they were accessing your account via computer. So, they could've also had a VPN running. Basically, this makes it looks like your computer is in a different location, which could be in Australia. I'm still a little confused as to what you mean by your iPhone was synced with an Android phone as this can't be done. However, if they had access to your email they could've gain access to your iCloud which would be very bad for an Apple device as all your data I previously mentioned, including private pictures, they would have access to. Just one of the con's of being able to sync your data. I'm glad to here you've gotten access to it though. Like I said, a two step authorization can come a long way.