Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card problem with new Asus laptop & help picking a new on

• Please log in to reply

whovian1010

whovian1010

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I just purchased an Asus Model ZX50VW-BHI7N10 gaming computer from best buy. It came with Windows 10, Intel Core I7, 8GB Memory, 1TB hard drive, NVIDIA GTX 900M graphics card, and DVD RW drive.  The graphics card keeps crashing.  I took it to best buy to have them look at it or exchange it and they no longer sell that computer.  I know nothing about computers except that they always seem to die on me and when the guy found out what type of graphics card it had he kind of made a face.  Are there a lot of known problems with these graphics cards.  From what i could tell online the NVIDIA seemed to be one of the better graphics cards.  I have not yet contacted ASUS or spoken to best buy about a price for replacing the graphics card because I wanted to do some research and get some opinions first.  At this point I'm going to be using it for computer games like Sims and Nancy Drew, Rosetta Stone, Netflix, and Hulu, Microsoft office, and may try to checkout online gaming.  I purchased this one over another Asus that had 6GB memory, Intel Core I5 and 1TB hard drive that did not have a DVD-RW drive since it was only $50 more for the better system. I could really use help deciding if I should just return this or pursue trying to get the graphics card replaced by either Asus or Best Buy. I only paid $850 for it and really don't want to go much higher. I could use some opinions/help should I replace the graphics card on this computer or find another one.  If I should get another one, any tips on a brand, model, laptops to get.  I kind of want to steer away from Toshiba and dell.  any help would be greatly appreciated.  One more problem I'm having I had my brother do the setup and put a password on it for whatever reason neither I or the Best Buy guy could with the password written down could access this computer.  My brother can type it in just fine and get in.  Is there some kind of keystroke thing where if you don't match the way the password was put in that it won't let you in.

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:    whovian1010,

I have not yet contacted ASUS or spoken to best buy about a price for replacing the graphics card because I wanted to do some research and get some opinions first.

Notebook computers are not as versatile as desktops when it comes to upgrading and very few notebooks have upgradeable video cards, your Nvidea video chip is integrated into the MB by way of a socket like the CPU and is not a card that can be easily swapped out I`m afraid.

One more problem I'm having I had my brother do the setup and put a password on it for whatever reason neither I or the Best Buy guy could with the password written down could access this computer.  My brother can type it in just fine and get in.  Is there some kind of keystroke thing where if you don't match the way the password was put in that it won't let you in.

Nope, where typed in passwords are concerned the password details are either right or wrong.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Best Buy probably won't help you much on this because if there is still warranty, it would be best covered by Asus.

I would try to get Best Buy to replace it with something comparable. I would also contact Asus to let them know what is going on.

This way you are covered on both ends.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The graphics card keeps crashing

Depends on the type of crash and any error message produced such as "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" commonly a driver and not a hardware issue but can also be caused by overheating, there is not enough information in the OP to help determine anything.

when the guy found out what type of graphics card it had he kind of made a face. 

The notebook and its GPU as far as the specs go are reasonable enough for gaming and certainly for running the software that has been mentioned above, trying to run the more demanding Assassin's Creed Syndicate will however cause problems, GPU gaming benchmarks here

To add to what 123Runner has advised and for some clarity for others that may read this thread;

whovian1010 up to now has not replied and may actually decide not to but fwiw there is nothing in the members OP that suggests that there is any hardware failure that would justify a warranty claim.  

whovian1010

whovian1010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm Going to look into comparable computers and see what both companies can do for me. My biggest worry about a comparable pc is most of what I saw available are touch screens with no dvd drive which I'm not a fan of and were a lot more expensive. It did say display driver stopped working the first few times but after that it just went black for a few seconds with no message. I don't understand how it could be an overheating issue because when it first started happening it was only on for about 5minutes. If it is a driver issue is that some kind of software update that needs to be done? Forgive me if that seems a stupid question but I really don't know much more than how to hit the power button.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
It did say display driver stopped working the first few times but after that it just went black for a few seconds with no message.

Driver and not hardware related so would not be returnable under warranty.

I don't understand how it could be an overheating issue because when it first started happening it was only on for about 5minutes.

A computer can overheat in a nano second let alone after five minutes, how and where was the notebook being used when the screen went black, gaming on your lap for example.

If it is a driver issue is that some kind of software update that needs to be done? Forgive me if that seems a stupid question

Yes and this can be checked without the danger of voiding your warranty.

Not a stupid question at all, those are the type that people don`t ask and then end up in trouble, ask as many questions as you need to and one of us will answer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you whovian1010, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.