Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer keeps rebooting with error code

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

dkfogel

dkfogel

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My laptop keeps rebooting not allowing me access to anything. It reboots every 2 seconds and if I do try to do anything I get an explorer.exe - application error code: "the instruction at 0x40cccf72 referenced memory at 0x00000010. The memory could not be read". I have very important documents I don't want to lose on this laptop. Please help.

Advertisements

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Did you create a system recovery/repair disc you can boot from and/or do you have a backup from which you can recover your documents?

You can create the system recovery/repair disc on any Windows 10 machine.

You can also simply pop out the laptop's hard drive and use the correct style of drive to USB cable to use it as an external drive on another computer to recover your data.

In the end you're probably going to want to do a Reset install using the correct version of Windows 10 that you can download via the Media Creation Tool, create the bootable media of your choice, and then boot from.

After this is sorted out get yourself an external hard drive and use either Windows File History or the backup mechanism of your choice to do frequent/constant user data backups and occasional system image backups.