Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bump laptop, opens main web browser? (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

reach1

reach1

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

As you can see this is a pain. When i bump or touch my laptop it opens browsers. I found when i move my monitor back and forth its more sensitive. I tried disconnecting my keyboard and my super buttons aka power/mail/web/?/pc, it had no effect.

I have a gateway 400vtx

Any one have a clue?

It works fine as long as i don't touch it. if i use a usb keyboard and mouse without bumping it, its good.

Screenshot_12292015_06_01_25_PM.png

Edited by reach1, 29 December 2015 - 07:02 PM.

Advertisements

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

I recommend you should get a new laptop

Get a new laptop ? that wasn't helpful .
My first thought was a malware oh but you said you don't have any problems when you use an external keyboard and mouse.
That's pretty weird wish i could help reach1 but i'll leave this to someone that have ore experience.
good luck solving your issue.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

A new laptop is my last resort.

I am able to disable the command that opens browsers but then browsers i currently use will then load its homepage.

Maybe there is a way to disable my FF browser from loading homepage? I tried a FF plug-in to disable key commands but it did nothing.

exo-helper-1 is the super button next to the power button, its for web browser. It seems like that is causing the problem. Maybe I could change that button so it will activate nothing?

Its apparent its a hardware issue anyway. One little thing must be broke or loose causing that button to activate.

Edited by reach1, 30 December 2015 - 03:29 PM.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I was able to change the shortcut for the super button "XF86HomePage" from launching "web browser" to "nothing". This is better but I now get errors that say:

-Error

-Failed to launch shortcut xf86homepage

-failed to execute child process "nothing" (no such file or directory)

Progress at least.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Come to think of it I could disable error messages. It wont fix the problem but it would hide it.

Of course theres no easy setting to disable error messages.

Edited by reach1, 30 December 2015 - 04:25 PM.

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Looks like your exo-helper-1 button is stuck try to remove that key from your keyboard and put it again .
1.To remove the keycap from a keyboard place your finger nail,or knife under a corner of the key and gently pry the keycap up.
2.In many situations, the key only snaps out partially. If the keycap is still attached to the laptop use your fingers to remove the keycap completely.
before re-putting the keycap try to see if theres something wrong then put it back .

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Looks like your exo-helper-1 button is stuck try to remove that key from your keyboard and put it again .
1.To remove the keycap from a keyboard place your finger nail,or knife under a corner of the key and gently pry the keycap up.
2.In many situations, the key only snaps out partially. If the keycap is still attached to the laptop use your fingers to remove the keycap completely.
before re-putting the keycap try to see if theres something wrong then put it back .

Tried that already. Even with that little board removed it does it.

I know the problem has to be their. Its as if a wire is crossing or being pinched together.

I'm probably going to have to take the entire thing apart. The problem might be on the bottom side of the mother board with a solder or wire. :unsure: <_<

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Took the top casing off, mouse pad keyboard. Tightened some loose screws, plugged it in and it seemed to at least make it better if not fix that issue. Unfortunately when I put it back together it does not power on................. I let it sit un-powered over night and when I plugged it in and put battery in, the charging light lite up green. When I pressed power the charging light turned off and does not light up again.

Battery shows full charge, power cable is good.

I tried unplugging, removing battery and holding down the power button for two minutes then plugging back in and nothing. Tried removing battery and putting it in a freezer for a half hour, plugged it in and nothing.

If I let it sit for a long time "hours" and plug it in the charging light will turn on. Besides that it seems dead.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

ok

I can drain power from it when I hold the power button down four 15 seconds.
Then I can see the battery light turn on orange and after a second switch to green (when both AC and battery are connected).
The battery also has a button on it to test its power, its at 100%.
The AC has a green led light when plugged in.
After draining power from my laptop, I plug in the AC I noticed a faint buzzing noise from the laptop.
---Every attempt to press the power button results in the battery led light to turn off.--- " stays off unless I drain all power and reconnect batter/AC."
If the AC is plugged in, the faint buzzing noise stops after pressing power.
I then disconnect power sources, drain laptop of power and try again.
I removed ram and nothing.
I removed keyboard and mouse pad and nothing.
I removed hard drive and nothing.
I unplug monitor, floppy drives, cooling fan and nothing.

What do you think?

Edited by reach1, 08 January 2016 - 07:21 PM.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

So, I think my issue with browsers popping open is solved, lol. Should I make a new thread for my new problem?

Advertisements

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I'm thinking since the battery is charging and stops dead only after I hit the power button. I have a bad capacitor on my mother board. If the processor was bad, I don't see how it could stop the battery from charging.

I tried removing the processor and it did the same thing, battery led just turns off.

Any hacks/tricks out there to fix a bad motherboard?

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Should i make a new topic?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
When i bump or touch my laptop it opens browsers. 

I found when i move my monitor back and forth its more sensitive.

It works fine as long as i don't touch it. if i use a usb keyboard and mouse without bumping it, its good.

All suggest a loose connection.

Does your notebook have a mini PCI wireless card.

plugged it in and it seemed to at least make it better if not fix that issue. 

Make what better - fix what issue.

I unplug monitor, floppy drives, cooling fan and nothing.

You should not be attempting to start the notebook with no cooling fan in place else you will fry the CPU, if not already done.

I tried removing the processor and it did the same thing, battery led just turns off.

That is to be expected with no processor in the MB CPU socket.

Points of particular importance.

Over tightening or placing incorrect screws into the MB or the notebook chassis can cause a short circuit.

Old thermal compound must be correctly cleaned off and a fresh amount applied before reassembling after removing the CPU/GPU heatsink and cooling fan.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Please read my last 5 posts.

Its was loose screws but now I have another issue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I have read the whole thread more than once then post my observations in reply #14 and highlighting the following which you have chosen not to answer Does your notebook have a mini PCI wireless card.

If you overtightened anything the MB or chassis could have shorted out.

If you tried powering up the notebook without a CPU cooler you may have fried the CPU.

If you never cleaned off the old thermal compound and applied a fresh amount you may have fried the CPU.