Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bump laptop, opens main web browser? (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

The last time I turned it on, it was powered up for less than a minute. I don't think that's enough time to fry a processor, unlikely but possible.

I know it has wireless internet on it but I don't know were to look for a wireless card, on the bottom maybe. Here are some pictures I took, Is that silver thing on the back for a wireless antenna? I don't really know.

The motherboard was being moved/bent a little before it died, because when I moved the monitor it was putting pressure on the casing due to loose screws.

I don't think I over tightened any screws but there could of been something on the board that was worn down and ready to give.

They do have refurbished motherboards for $18 on ebay but they don't have that silver plug connector on the back. I'm thinking of getting one but I am not 100% if its needed.

DSC00297.jpgDSC00298.jpgDSC00299.jpg

Edited by reach1, 10 January 2016 - 03:57 PM.

Advertisements

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I didn't start it up without a cooling fan connected as it was already dead.

It does look like it has a fresh amount of thermal past on the CPU, as it should since I bought the laptop from a refurbished dealer around a year ago.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I would like to add I always kept it well cooled as I have a external cooling fan with its own power source always on.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
sorry about post #15. when reading as a guest i didnt know half of it was hidden and required scrolling as a guest.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The last time I turned it on, it was powered up for less than a minute. I don't think that's enough time to fry a processor, unlikely but possible.

A CPU will burn you within a nano second as they get that hot so quick and a CPU without a cooler attached would most certainly fry within 10 seconds.

I know it has wireless internet on it but I don't know were to look for a wireless card, on the bottom maybe. Here are some pictures I took, Is that silver thing on the back for a wireless antenna? I don't really know.

See pages 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 of the user manual here

The motherboard was being moved/bent a little before it died, because when I moved the monitor it was putting pressure on the casing due to loose screws.

This is called flexing and could definitely lead to a system short.

I don't think I over tightened any screws but there could of been something on the board that was worn down and ready to give.

This is less likely to have caused the problem than the board flexing but still possible.

It does look like it has a fresh amount of thermal past on the CPU, as it should since I bought the laptop from a refurbished dealer around a year ago.

Thermal compound must be properly cleaned off and a fresh amount applied whenever a heatsink is removed, it is a one time application and as soon as the air gets to it when the HS is removed the compound hardens and is no good.

Tip

Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for a reply from us, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Thanks for the manual link, very helpful.

Removed the wireless card and nothing changed.

well I think it need a replacement.

I can get a 400vtx mother board here

http://www.ebay.com/...XkAAOSwEetV-wO3

I'm not sure if they make other motherboards that would work or other options to look for?

My processor is

3318a338

sl6zw

rh80532

2200/256

intel(m)©02

It is 400mhz bus, intel mobile celeron 2200mhz, 256kb.

would this work?

http://www.ebay.com/...BWHcCt#shpCntId

"This is processor in the laptop"

http://www.ebay.com/...y4AAMXQVERS0bF0

http://www.ebay.com/...j4AAOSwNyFWcdvK

I'm guessing as long as its a mobile single core 400mhz bus and 256kb it should work.

It does not look like they made any with graphics memory options that will work unless i downgrade the speed, but I think there are possible options up to 3000mhz.

Anyway what to do next?

Edited by reach1, 11 January 2016 - 03:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Were the connections to the mini card secure.

From your MB link;

IMPORTANT TECH NOTE: There may be several different and non-interchangeable motherboards available. Please confirm compatibility before ordering.

Make sure that the following match the present board;

Gateway Part Number: 310A5MB007

Board Number: DA00A5MB8F4

Notebook MBs as a general rule are not interchangeable/can be upgraded.

Honest answer is that for such a minimal gain in processor speed I would not bother, put the cash towards the thermal compound that you will need, see here also worth mentioning is that in the remote likelihood that there was a decent CPU upgrade available you would need to see if there was a BIOS upgrade available for the board.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Mini card was very secure.

The MB does match up, numbers and all. It just does not have that silver metal connection piece on the back which has those two white wires going to it. I believe its for a antenna? not a big deal for me though.

My laptop was always right on the edge of streaming online videos smoothly so a small increase graphic memory or CPU would go a long way.

I already looked for a bios upgrade a while ago an found none.

Intel Celeron CPU or Pentium 4-M CPU are my only options for my bios.

as it states here.

http://panam.gateway...ile/8509089.pdf

It appears 512kb is the max allowed for graphic memory.

Is that it for CPU options? No other brands or types usable? Just would like to weigh in all my options for a CPU.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Good that the mini card was secure but I would suggest the the card is initially left out of any replacement board until the system has been tested.

The MB does match up, numbers and all. It just does not have that silver metal connection piece on the back which has those two white wires going to it. I believe its for a antenna? not a big deal for me though.

Not sure what you are referring to, can we have a picture please.

My laptop was always right on the edge of streaming online videos smoothly so a small increase graphic memory or CPU would go a long way.

Having the maximum amount of 1GB of Ram helps with the graphics and overall performance, it is also less expensive and less problematic to upgrade than the CPU, fwiw, the best CPU for your board is hard to find and when you do come across one they are very expensive, see here ($70.88).

Is that it for CPU options? No other brands or types usable? Just would like to weigh in all my options for a CPU.

Only an Intel processor specific to the Intel 478-pin FC-PGA CPU socket on the board can be used.

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Pictures are above. Wires that are connected to the power button, I don't know what they are.

I have 2 GB of ram, hehehe, worked pretty great too.

yeah, looks like the best I can get for under $10 would be a Intel Pentium 4-m 2400/512 (for $8.88 includes paste). Everything better is just crazy priced. good to know.

http://www.ebay.com/...PYAAOSwv0tVd~KS

If I did get this I imagine it would work right out of the box since it is compatible to my bios.

If i did get another CPU would I have to use cleaning solution if it looked clean already like in the above link?

The CPU that I have now needs to be cleaned and thermal pasted.

Is there any common cleaning solutions I could use instead? 100% alcohol or vinegar maybe to remove the thermal paste?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Pictures are above. Wires that are connected to the power button, I don't know what they are.

Sorry but I couldn't even hazard a guess without knowing what wires in which picture, I can see a couple of wires in pic 1 which look like they go to the LED indicator panel.

From my reply #23

From your MB link;

IMPORTANT TECH NOTE: There may be several different and non-interchangeable motherboards available. Please confirm compatibility before ordering.

Looks like the one on sale is a variation of the board that has a lesser spec, make sure that any connections not used are isolated with good quality insulation tape and then tucked away nice and tidy.

It is odd that you have been using 2GB of Ram as the board specs say it has a max capacity of 1GB;

Memory expansion options ■ Two 144-pin industry standard DDR-SODIMM sockets ■ Accepts two 200/266 MHz DDR RAM memory modules ■ 1024 MB maximum system memory ■ No on-board memory To determine your notebook’s memory: ■ 

If the replacement CPU is good it should be ok with the same BIOS, me personally I would clean the top of the CPU with a cleaning agent like the example here under no circumstances use vinegar.

Use the Surface Spread method for applying the thermal compound as detailed here

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
✓  Best Answer

"I can see a couple of wires in pic 1 which look like they go to the LED indicator panel."

Those are the wires. There attached to a little piece soldered to the MB. Although I don't think its a crucial part of the MB. Its the one part the replacement MB does not have.

If I remember correctly, my laptop was built in 2002 right before they had 1024 MB sodimm chips for laptops. At the time I was searching for memory, I found a couple of memory sites that said my 400vtx supported 2GB ram, which I can't find anymore, "they may have stopped selling them". Anyway, I have 2x1024 pc-2700 kingston chips. They worked good for about a year until my MB died.

I think I'm pretty much set, thanks for your help.

I was searching for Intel Mobile Pentium 4-M 2.5 GHz SL6P2, on ebay its $38 right. Well I found a couple Chinese websites which I will not buy from but I thought it was a little interesting anyway. One for 1,998 yen or $17 lol.

http://www.paigogo.c...oryid=0&wd=sl6p

Edited by reach1, 14 January 2016 - 07:56 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are most welcome  :)

Please keep us posted on your progress and any further questions along the way let us know  :thumbsup:

I found a couple Chinese websites which I will not buy from

Likewise, it can be like playing Russian Roulette  :ph34r:

reach1

reach1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

well its up and running good.

I got that MB and a new 2400/512 CPU and it is working good. The CPU upgrade did remove choppy video on you tube for 480p although it still says i am losing frames it looks fine to me and I can't tell watching it.

There are two down sides though. The keyboard I have does not work because the plug is different on the MB, so I need a new keyboard. I am using a usb keyboard right now, so all is not lost.

Second, like the true professional I am... I forgot to plug in the speakers, lol.

Thanks again.

I was looking for the keyboard and it appears to be the same as gateway 600yg2 plug-in.

Edited by reach1, 23 January 2016 - 10:08 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Nice job but what a pain in the proverbial for you regarding the keyboard and speakers  :(

Thanks for keeping us up to date on the project and glad to see that you got the improvements that you were after  :)