Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor won't turn on unless I "fiddle" with it (Resolved)

Best Answer Ry_Ry , 05 January 2016 - 12:42 PM

Hello  phill, first I would like to say i'm sorry about the quotation, i'm still a newbie here so please pardon me. I was unplugging the PSU because right now I am using a extension, and I swi... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Ry_Ry

Ry_Ry

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello, my two monitors are currently in a bit of trouble, heres my setup: http://pastebin.com/3G24QdbP

Currently, if i unplug the PSU and plug it back in, my two monitors won't pick up the signal of my GPU. What I have to do is either:

- Unplug and plug the DVI cables

- Spam F2 to get into BIOS

That's all :/, this has been bugging me for quite a while now and i really wanna fix it.

Please note too that this is my second motherboard, the first one was defective. Please help, i really wanna fix this problem :(

Please also note that people suggested me to use an older AMD driver.

Oh yeah once I get the monitors to boot up, even if i restart my computer its fully functional now.. what??

Edited by Ry_Ry, 31 December 2015 - 01:08 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   Ry_Ry,

Currently, if i unplug the PSU and plug it back in, my two monitors won't pick up the signal of my GPU. 

Couple of questions if I may;

Why are you having to unplug the PSU all of the time.

What I have to do is either:

When you do this are the time and date correct in the BIOS or are you having to reset them.

Have you tried removing the add on video card and connecting your screens to the MBs DVI-I and HDMI ports.

Ry_Ry

Ry_Ry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

:welcome:   Ry_Ry,

Currently, if i unplug the PSU and plug it back in, my two monitors won't pick up the signal of my GPU. 

Couple of questions if I may;

Why are you having to unplug the PSU all of the time.

What I have to do is either:

When you do this are the time and date correct in the BIOS or are you having to reset them.

Have you tried removing the add on video card and connecting your screens to the MBs DVI-I and HDMI ports.

Thank you for the reply, I keep unplugging my PSU because I wanted to test something. And the time and date in the BiOS is right.. I don't understand when you said "
Have you tried removing the add on video card and connecting your screens to the MBs DVI-I and HDMI ports" could you please rephrase that?

EDIT: tried gpu in another computer it works fine... I'm about to give up :(

Edited by Ry_Ry, 02 January 2016 - 09:52 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Please do not quote every reply Ry_Ry it is not necessary, if you need to emphasize certain details break them down into bite sizes quotes as I do, it makes reading replies and life easier :thumbsup:  

Bit confused by your edited reply #3 as in the email notification that I received for your reply you said it was wrong  :headscratch:

I keep unplugging my PSU because I wanted to test something. And the time and date in the BiOS is wrong..

PSUs are not meant to be continually unplugged but fwiw unless it is a junk brand (yours is not) doing so is not likely to have damaged anything, couple of questions regarding this;

What were you trying to test.

Why the change from the time and date being wrong to then suddenly becoming correct, this information is particularly important.

I don't understand when you said "
Have you tried removing the add on video card and connecting your screens to the MBs DVI-I and HDMI ports" could you please rephrase that?

We will come back to this once we have your reply to the above questions that have been asked and any suggestions followed up, at this point there is nothing whatsoever to suggest that there is anything wrong with your GPU.

Ry_Ry

Ry_Ry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello  phill, first I would like to say i'm sorry about the quotation, i'm still a newbie here so please pardon me. I was unplugging the PSU because right now I am using a extension, and I switched extension because I thought that the extension I was using wasn't supplying enough power. Ah, the time in the BIOS was my mistake, I was shocked when I saw it was 2016, but in reality it was (Time goes so fast..)  And I have solved my problem, for now, the problem was, I didn't pushed the GPU all the way in and some standoffs of the case were placed wrong, so I think it was shorting it or something but when I fixed those two, my two monitors are booting up fine now, thank you for your time to reply and support, I really appreciate it! I'll let you know if something else goes wrong.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Ry_Ry,

No harm done, many members do the same thing thinking that it helps  ;)

Read and understand the PSU and date explanations  :thumbsup:

Pleased to hear that you appear to have resolved the issue/s and even more pleased for you that the incorrectly placed stand offs did not short out any of your hardware.

You are most welcome btw and please do not hesitate to come back here should the problem/s reoccur.

Ry_Ry

Ry_Ry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hiya, I was wrong, it didn't really fix the problem, but it fixed most of the fiddling issues so now I don't have to go under my desk and fiddle with the wires, instead the monitors will now work if I click the reset switch. Also, the USB ports turns on and off for some reason..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Sounds like something is not connected up correctly  :(

Can I ask who assembled the build, no criticism here but it would be easier if it was yourself as I suggest that you remove everything from the case and do a barebones set up.

Ry_Ry

Ry_Ry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Me  :upset: , ill try to find a time this weekend to reassemble everything :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Dont be hard on yourself as there is nothing 100% certain to suggest that anything has been put together wrong, the barebones set-up is just our way of you confirming that everything is connected as it should be and that the connections are secure, use my canned text below to help you, I have struck through what is not relevant in this particular instance;

I suggest that you remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, the screens, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.

Connect the PSU to the wall socket and turn it on, Press the "Power On" button on the MB, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen. 
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try removing the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will clear any possible bad MB settings.
If after checking all the above the issue is not resolved I would suspect a bad MB, especially after trying a replacement CPU and Ram.