Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Public WiFi security on Phone

Phone Public wifi Security Tracking

• Please log in to reply

Mojo1111

Mojo1111

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
Curious about security on public WiFi in regard to information on your phone. When I log on to public WiFi can the administrator see my PAST saved browser history or saved information/sites that I visited PRIOR to being on that WiFi? I know they can see what you do while connected to the wifi but my concern is do you need to clear browser history before you log on a public WiFi to be sure previous cached information is secure? Thank you!

Advertisements

kendy43734

kendy43734

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Normally, no. The network admin shouldn't be able to see that much info on your phone. And imo, it shouldn't concern you because they shouldn't really care about what you do outside of their network.

MichaelMarks

MichaelMarks

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

It's best if you to clear your browser for security. We don't know what or when they will intrude your phone, especially in a public wifi.

John Michel

John Michel

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

I agree that GENERALLY no network cares that what is going on outside of their network, but what if someone started caring about this. So, I would say that we should clear browsing history and cache before entering any network. 

buzzware

buzzware

• Pip
  • 5 posts

They can't see previous websites browsed but when you open websites on public wifi then administrator could possibly find out about all the websites you browse and data transmitted over public wifi. I would recommend using the VPN which will keep your browsing session anonymous.

daniel2017

daniel2017

• Pip
  • 5 posts

It is necessary to take into account the confidentiality of the information which are reserved for you on devices and people which are sent to you during your connections, in particular the passwords.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by daniel2017, 15 March 2017 - 01:05 PM.