Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

irql_unexpected_value error (Resolved)

Best Answer GTech , 27 January 2016 - 10:21 AM

Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond to you. I really do appreciate all your help! My computer still need fixing but after having everything deleted and other problems arising I am going to just... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

GTech

GTech

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

I have recently updated my laptop to the newest version of Windows (windows 10 home). Ever since it keeps crashing with the screen message saying irql_unexpected_value. At first it was every so often now it's like every few minutes

I have recently updated my laptop to the newest version of Windows (windows 10 home). Ever since it keeps crashing with the screen message saying irql_unexpected_value. At first it was every so often now it's like every few minutes

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by GTech, 02 January 2016 - 10:43 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello GTech,

Sounds like the upgrade from your previous OS did not go too well as the irql_unexpected_value error message can be caused by missing files/dlls and or a corrupt registry.

Have you tried starting the notebook in Safe Mode only (no networking) if not do so by following the steps below copy/paste from MS;

1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power 5a774598-9041-49c1-ac51-955242b27bd4_50. > Restart.
  2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Start-up Settings >Restart.

3. After your PC restarts, you’ll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode

Let us know if the computer still crashes.

Can you also post the brand and exact model name or number of the notebook so that we do some research.

GTech

GTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
 I have an acer aspire 5560-7476 that is now running on windows 10
After following those steps, I rebooted my laptop after about an hour and it crashed right after powering on

Edited by GTech, 03 January 2016 - 10:56 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

A temporary test to see if the computer still crashes, if it doesnt it may suggest a driver issue, if it does still crash it points towards a possible Windows problem.

I have an acer aspire 5560-7476 that is now running on windows 10

How long ago did you upgrade, if within the last 30 days you should have the option to roll back to Windows 7 and then try again.

GTech

GTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
It's def been more than 30 days since upgrading

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not a problem if you still have the product key + installation media for Windows 7 or a Recovery Partition on the HDD.

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode yet.

GTech

GTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Uhhh I'm not sure if I have any.

I have tired the safe mode but it seems to still be crashing

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Restart the computer.
When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the left Alt, and the F10 keys.

Let us know what/if anything happens.

I have tired the safe mode but it seems to still be crashing 

Can you explain what actually happens.

GTech

GTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I'll be using the laptop or even if it's just booting and then all of a sudden the blue screen with the message comes up.

When I click alt and f10 the computer I get this screen with only the option to select restore operating system to factory defaults

When I tried clicking restore operating system and retain user data it does not do anything

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by GTech, 05 January 2016 - 03:29 PM.

GTech

GTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
After clicking exit on those choices I now get this message

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Looks like the recovery partition is corrupt  :(

See if you can run SFC, if you can and it finds any errors you may need to run it up to four times, it takes a while so dont be tempted to interrupt it, going offline shortly as I have an early start.

After restarting the computer; 

Right-click the Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin) then type the following command into the Command Prompt window and press Enter to run a full system scan sfc /scannow

GTech

GTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

So I ended up having only the option to select restore operating system to factory defaults so now I am running on Windows 7 instead, I typed in SFC in the program search and when it did come up, and I clicked on it, it tried opening something but nothing happened

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No need to run SFC on Windows 7 if it is running ok.

My suggestion is that you install all important updates for Windows 7 and then create a back up image of the HDD using Macrium Reflect (free) use the tutorial provided courtesy of Essexboy here to help with this, the primary reason why I am suggesting this is because your OS is the OEM type which Microsoft do not provide support for, Acer are obliged to do so meaning that if your HDD fails you would either need to purchase recovery media from Acer (if still available) or purchase new media and product key from Microsoft.

Once you have fully updated Windows 7 and made the back up image you could then try upgrading to Windows 10 again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you GTech, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

GTech

GTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Hi,

So sorry, haven't gotten around to trying it. I am going to attempt right now.