Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot problem (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 29 January 2016 - 08:40 AM

Right now I want a PSU to do a test. I want to be sure it is out. No one has said that your PSU is definitely bad only advised you not to try using the computer until the problem was identifie... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

p6f

p6f

• Pip
  • 5 posts

The computer worked two years and I have this problem for one year.
(both in English and in my native language)
The problem:
After arresting seven window.
When I press the Power button on my computer, my speakers sizzle, diodes light and nothing else.

If I unplug and reconnect the power cord, I heard a noise resembling the sound of a relay and the computer starts normally (boot and system).

checks:
The problem is not the power cord, or the plug.

Question:
Is it a hardware or software problem (bios, windows seven)?

remarks:
The system is windows seven family.
The computer is a gamer assembled by materiel.net.
When I use the sleep, it restarts quite often.

Thanks

( Problème de boot
L'ordinateur a fonctionné deux ans et j'ai ce problème depuis un an.
(deux versions, anglaise et ma langue natale)
Le problème:
Après avoir arrêté window seven.
Quand j'appuie sur le bouton de mise en marche de mon ordinateur, mes hauts parleurs grésillent, des diodes s'allument et rien d'autre.

Si je débranche et rebranche son cordon d'alimentation, j'entend un bruit ressemblant au bruit d'un relai et l'ordinateur démarre normalement (boot puis système).

Vérifications:
Le problème ne vient pas du cordon d'alimentation, ni de la prise.

Question:
Est-ce un problème matériel ou logiciel (bios, windows seven)?

Remarques:
Le système est windows seven familiale.
L'ordinateur est un gamer assemblé par materiel.net.
Quand j'utilise la mise en veille, il redémarre assez souvent. )

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    p6f,

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Possibly a sticking hard drive but anything that sounds like a sizzle tends to be electrical.

checks:
The problem is not the power cord, or the plug.

Can I ask how this has been determined/properly checked out.

Question:
Is it a hardware or software problem (bios, windows seven)?

Too soon to say as we do not have enough information at the moment.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

p6f

p6f

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for your answer Phill

"checks: The problem is not the power cord, or the plug."

--- Can I ask how this has been determined/properly checked out.

I do not used an uninterruptible power supply.

Another computer works on the first plug.

I have used three power cords, and an other plug in a other room.

The three power cords run with an other computer.

(I assembled my first computer by 1992.)

--"Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us,..."

OK

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
"checks: The problem is not the power cord, or the plug."
--- Can I ask how this has been determined/properly checked out.

I do not used an uninterruptible power supply.

Another computer works on the first plug.

I have used three power cords, and an other plug in a other room.

The three power cords run with an other computer.

Acknowledged.

I suggest that you swap in a known good working power supply asap, it needs to be a good brand and have an adequate output to support all of your hardware.

--"Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us,..."
OK

No Speccy url at the moment but please leave it until the PSU has been changed.

Post the brand and model name or number of the present PSU so that we can see how good or bad the quality is.

p6f

p6f

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

--- No Speccy url at the moment but please leave it until the PSU has been changed.

http://speccy.pirifo...j3lkyvMbPZgxh3x

--- Post the brand and model name or number of the present PSU so that we can see how good or bad the quality is.

Materiel.net Blackbird édition Windows (PC Gamer)

I made a test this morning.

I put a Xubuntu boot DVD-Disk in my computer.

I restart windows.

My computer boot on the Xubuntu DVD-Disk, all is OK.

After arresting Xubuntu, I have the same trouble, when I press the Power button on my computer, my computer does not end the BIOS stage.
(When I press the Power button on my computer, my speakers sizzle, diodes light and nothing else.
If I unplug and reconnect the power cord, I heard a noise resembling the sound of a relay and the computer starts normally (bios and OS boot).)

Pure guesswork
I suppose than a electronic circuit of the computer power supply is broken (Seasonic X-Series de 650W).
The circuit which manages the started of the computer.
I have not an other power supply to make a try.

I do not believe much.

Thanks

Edited by p6f, 17 January 2016 - 02:21 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

(When I press the Power button on my computer, my speakers sizzle, diodes light and nothing else.
If I unplug and reconnect the power cord, I heard a noise resembling the sound of a relay and the computer starts normally (bios and OS boot).)

Possible causes include a sticking relay inside of the PSU, a loose power or reset button/connection between the case or a system short. 

I strongly suggest that you do not try and start up the computer again until this issue is resolved, if the PSU is bad it could go bang at any time and take out all of your other hardware.

Seasonic are one of if not the best brand of PSU but they can fail, your particular PSU has a seven year warranty period which hopefully means that you will qualify for a free replacement if that is what is required.

Let us know if you are happy working inside of a computer, if you are not then it is best to get the PSU checked by a reputable tech.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you p6f, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

p6f

p6f

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

-- Let us know if you are happy working inside of a computer.

I am happy working inside of a computer.

-- Not heard back from you p6f, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

The issue is not resolved.

In all casies, I would inform you.
Right now I want a PSU to do a test. I want to be sure it is out.

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer
Right now I want a PSU to do a test. I want to be sure it is out.

No one has said that your PSU is definitely bad only advised you not to try using the computer until the problem was identified and put right I strongly suggest that you do not try and start up the computer again until this issue is resolved,

Possible causes include a sticking relay inside of the PSU, a loose power or reset button/connection between the case or a system short. 

I strongly suggest that you do not try and start up the computer again until this issue is resolved, if the PSU is bad it could go bang at any time and take out all of your other hardware.

Swapping in a known good adequately powered PSU is not always possible unless you can borrow one, having a PSU properly tested by a reliable Tech is often more convenient and cost effective.

I do not wish to alarm you but the attached video is the one that I use as an example to show the sort of equipment that is required to conclusively test a PSU.

What the equipment does is simulate a computer under load and so the PSU behaves as it would when it is powering your PC, multi-meters and the basic testing devices that you can purchase from some merchants only test the basic voltage output from the PSU rails and so cannot be relied on as 100% conclusive.

p6f

p6f

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks you for the help.

Pascal Brognez

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are welcome p6f  :)

Take it that the issue is now resolved, it may help others if you share the information  :thumbsup: