Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

switching my internet connection from USB to ether

• Please log in to reply

uopm

uopm

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Guys!
We are attempting to connect a router to our cable internet system and in so doing found that we are connected by usb cable and not ethernet....how do we switch over our internet connection to ethernet? Our computer is capable....our cable company is dynamic.... We are using windows xp
Thank you!
Anita

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I don't follow you exactly...your question is a bit vague

cable==cable modem==cable==router

you may have to enter your PC's MAC (media access control) address from the original pc into the router

set up the router as a dhcp server

install the wireless cards into PCs...that's pretty much it. If you want ot share files, set up all computers in the same workgroup, share a folder.

Check your router manual for security capabilities.

uopm

uopm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I don't follow you exactly...your question is a bit vague

cable==cable modem==cable==router

you may have to enter your PC's MAC (media access control) address from the original pc into the router

set up the router as a dhcp server

install the wireless cards into PCs...that's pretty much it. If you want ot share files, set up all computers in the same workgroup, share a folder.

Check your router manual for security capabilities.

View Post

Gerry,
I want to switch my computer's internet connection from usb port to ethernet port....how do I do that?
Thank you
Anita

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I though you said you were going wireless?

If your cable company set you up as usb, look on the back of the cable modem, there will be an ethernet port there--plug a cat5 cable (not crossover) into that, and the other end into the NIC card in the PC.

If you are going wireless, plug the cat5 cable into the router