Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deactivated C drive!

• Please log in to reply

Shocklock

Shocklock

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Can anyone help me please? I foolishly deactivated my c drive so now i can't boot into windows at all. Message said "bootmgr is missing". I created a bootable usb which worked fine i guess, however now I'm at a black screen with C:\ i think i need to type a command of some sort? Laptop is hp Pavillion dv6 running vista.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi :welcome:

Can anyone help me please? I foolishly deactivated my c drive...

How did you do that?

Shocklock

Shocklock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Lol cause I'm an idiot

Shocklock

Shocklock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I went into advanced settings etc somehow while i was looking into doing a factory reset. Made c drive inactive, now I'm trying to figure out a way to activate it again with just a black dos looking screen lol.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Do you know if your Windows Vista is 32 or 64 bits?

Shocklock

Shocklock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Seriously i don't know. Let's say 64.

Shocklock

Shocklock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I brought the laptop 2nd hand and it had a dodgy version of win7 on it hence the reason i wanted to do a factory reset. I've been reading online and apparently there is a way of accessing the disk management parts and reactivating the c drive so i can run vista. Does that sound right to you?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I brought the laptop 2nd hand and it had a dodgy version of win7 on it hence the reason i wanted to do a factory reset. I've been reading online and apparently there is a way of accessing the disk management parts and reactivating the c drive so i can run vista. Does that sound right to you?

It depends if they didn't delete the Recovery Partition and if it's possible to boot from it...

Lets see...

• Download ListParts for 32 bit systems and save it to your USB device
  • Download ListParts for 64 bit systems and save it to your USB device
  • Boot using your Recovery media and select the Command Prompt option.
  • Type notepad then hit Enter.
  • Click File, Open, then select Computer.
  • Note down the drive letter for your USB Drive
  • Close Notepad.
  • At the Command Prompt type e:\listparts64.exe and hit Enter (where e: is replaced by the drive letter for your USB drive)
  • ListParts64 will start to run if not try to run listparts.exe instead
  • Click the Scan button and wait for a Result - Notepad document to open
  • Copy & Paste to your topic the contents of the log Result.txt created on the USB drive

Edit: I suppose you tried to use the F11 key during boot before doing the change and you can't access the Recovery Manager tool?

Edited by SleepyDude, 06 January 2016 - 06:26 AM.

virtualtechie18

virtualtechie18

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

I dont think you can be able to do that. Of course if you did, there should be a warning that C cannot be deactivated since its the primary drive.