Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading motherboard in x202e laptop

Best Answer RKinner , 07 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

It's doable. Usually just takes a small Phillips screwdriver and a lot of patience.   Be a good idea to take a lot of pictures as you take it apart so you will be sure to get it back together.... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

imjustanormaluser

imjustanormaluser

• Pip
  • 3 posts

So I own an x202e-ct130h and it has an Intel Celeron 847 at 1.10ghz. I usually play low-end games and this CPU can barely handle them.

I saw a motherboard for this laptop online and it has an Intel i3-3217u with it, which will be a decent upgrade to the CPU.

Is it worth? Is it possible to upgrade this laptop's motherboard on my own?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Looks like a lot of work:

and he doesn't really get to the motherboard.  Is that something you are comfortable doing?  How much does the upgrade cost?  Perhaps a used one might be a better option?

imjustanormaluser

imjustanormaluser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Looks like a lot of work:

and he doesn't really get to the motherboard.  Is that something you are comfortable doing?  How much does the upgrade cost?  Perhaps a used one might be a better option?

It's not something I'm comfortable doing, I was just wondering if can I do it by myself. Can I do it?(I don't have much knowledge about computers but I can definitely do the thing he did in the video) The upgrade doesn't cost a lot. A used one might be an option, but is it ok if I picked a used one instead?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
✓  Best Answer

It's doable. Usually just takes a small Phillips screwdriver and a lot of patience.   Be a good idea to take a lot of pictures as you take it apart so you will be sure to get it back together.  Helps if the screwdriver is magnetic. Always a chance that the new motherboard is no good so you might have to back it out.

If you get a used one, use Speedfan to verify that it is not running hot:

Try speedfan

Download, save and Install it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin)

It will tell you your temps.  If they seem hot (over 50)

You can also use Speedfan to check the hard drive:

In Speedfan, click on the S.M.A.R.T. tab and then on the down arrow to the right of the empty box.  Select your hard drive.  (Only one there on a laptop).  This will show you the info on your hard drive.  It should be all green OKs (or nothing for info only things)  other colors indicate problems.  You can also click on Perform an in depth online analysis of the hard drive   This will open a webpage with more details.  

imjustanormaluser

imjustanormaluser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for taking the time in answering my questions. I'm just a nornal user passing by, I'm gonna consider these things when upgrading. cheers~