Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgraded my processor now getting worse performance (Resolved)

Best Answer SaltySalsa , 14 January 2016 - 07:55 AM

I think I'll just try it out I'm pretty sure it will fit. But I won't be able to get it for a while anyway. But yeah thanks for all the help Also about the problem with my windows do I need to op... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

SaltySalsa

SaltySalsa

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey I recently purchased a "CES 2016 Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600" and now getting lower fps it's driving me nuts. I'm not sure but could it be the motherboard?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:    SaltySalsa,

Not enough information to go on at the moment to be able to begin to suggest what the problem could be, please see my canned text below;

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, the Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

SaltySalsa

SaltySalsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sure thing! I'll be home soon will post all my parts ^^

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:thumbsup:

SaltySalsa

SaltySalsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

hey
Processor: Intel Core I7-4790k CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM 8.00GB
64 bit operating system windows 8.1
its  a dell desktop its was around 500$ from best buy
​graphics card gforce gt 730
8 cores 
1920x1080 60h
System modle Inspiron 3847
BOIS A04
thats all my parts :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thanks for the specs which I used to check to see if your MB may need a BIOS update before fitting the new processor, apparently not as a person here has used the same CPU without issue.

Couple of questions if I may;

Are you using the computer for the same things as you were with the original CPU.

Has anything else been upgraded by yourself other than the CPU, if yes, when was this.

ATM I am suspecting that the graphics card may be bottlenecking the CPU. 

SaltySalsa

SaltySalsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

well i also got a new monitor, before i was using a TV 1366x768 now a 1920x1080 but i would think that the new 330$ processor would be able to keep up with it. but anyways i have about 150$ more to spend to fix the problem i guess. so you think i just need a new graphic card or a mother board?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Are you using the computer for the same things as you were with the original CPU.

Can you also answer this for us, include any particular software that you have been using.

The size of the monitor is not the issue it is the speed of the card and the amount of bits in the case of the 64-bit version of the card if that is what you have.

Any new decent video card would require a PSU upgrade.

If you are comfortable with working inside of the computer I would suggest that you physically remove the GTX 730 video card and try using the CPUs graphics to see if it improves any.

Getting late here and have an early start so going offline shortly, will check back asap tomorrow. 

SaltySalsa

SaltySalsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

ok good night i cant go inside my pc atm but ill have a msg ready for you when your back online!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:thumbsup:

Advertisements

SaltySalsa

SaltySalsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

ok i took out my graphics card and now im getting even lower fps like 20-30 more also how would i go about upgrading my psu or what even is it

SaltySalsa

SaltySalsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

oh i know what psu is now but uh could you recommend one?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday SaltySalsa,

Just helping out while Phillpower2 is offline.   Please answer the questions he asked as he needs the info to best help you.

1.   "Are you using the computer for the same things as you were with the original CPU."

2.   "any particular software that you have been using." 

(example would be, NEW software, not used before the CPU upgrade, like, Fraps, CCcleaner, Drive Booster)

3.   "and the PSU (power supply "  

(Give the brand and model number, example, Corsair, CX360 watt) 

ok i took out my graphics card and now im getting even lower fps like 20-30

Looks like the CPU integrated Graphics is a little weaker then the gforce gt 730, so the frame rate will go down.

oh i know what psu is now but uh could you recommend one?

When you give the model information, a replacement, (if needed) will be recommended. 

Thanks. 

SaltySalsa

SaltySalsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yes I'm using the pc for the same stuff before the upgrade the main thing I was comparing is my fps on CS:GO, no I haven't got any new software. And I'll be home shortly and I'll tell you the psu info asap! Thanks for all help again:)

SaltySalsa

SaltySalsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok the PSU is a DELL L300NM-01 the logo says "cRU US" with a backwards R&U and I think it says the input is 100-127v~/9A 50-60 hz also input 200-240v~/4.5A 50-60 hz then output 300w :)