Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive not recognised in disk management

• Please log in to reply

yackm

yackm

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, i have a new Wester Digital WDC 2000JB 200gb in an external enclosure.

I have a Toshiba p-20 laptop, 2.8ghz with HT, 512 mb of ram running Windows XP with SP2

Here is the problem:

I plug in the HD into a USB socket, the computer see's that there is new hardware and for a few minutes the little icon on the bottom right shows. Then it disappears and nothing. I started up disk management and the hard drive wasn't there (note: i have another external 80gb harddrive which works fine)

I opened up the case, took out the little thing thats in the pins so that the hard drive would be configured on master. Still nothing, rebooted computer, nothing.

The annoying thing is, that the computer knows its there. In device manager under disk drives, there is a new "Disk Drive" that shows up (i know its the new HD because it disappears whenever i unplug it)

Even western digitals Data Lifeguard does not find it.
I'm at a loss at what to do

Any ideas?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Is the hard drive formatted?