Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 stuck on "Starting Windows" screen

Freeze Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,777 posts

We dont know what the graphics solution is on your particular computer, do you so that we can make sure that you install the correct driver.

Of the other drivers to update;

"IDE ATA/ATARI controllers", there is Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller.

No.

System devices", there are Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1-4, Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBUS controller,

No.

Intel HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Interface Controller.

Yes

Advertisements

evilduks

evilduks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you for you continuing advice.

The chipset and video driver uninstall/reinstall didn't fix the issue. After looking at other forums with similar problems, I noticed that most performed a bootlog to see what did and didn't load. The first to not load is Microsoft 6to4Adapter. Could this be anything of importance?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,777 posts

I asked in my reply #16

We dont know what the graphics solution is on your particular computer, do you so that we can make sure that you install the correct driver.

This is important, can you answer please.

After looking at other forums with similar problems, I noticed that most performed a bootlog to see what did and didn't load. The first to not load is Microsoft 6to4Adapter. Could this be anything of importance? 

We welcome members doing there own research and sharing their findings but we also advise them against following the guidance on more than one forum, it can lead to confusion and inevitably disaster and end up in a blame game as to who`s fault it was  :(

In answer to your question, you do not need the Microsoft 6to4Adapter to load on boot and if it was causing you any problems you would not be able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking, see here for a better explanation than I can offer.

evilduks

evilduks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

My laptop has dual, switchable graphics chips. One is a Radeon 6770m and the other is an Intel HD 3000.

I am able to run Safe Mode with Networking, so it must not be the 6to4 adapter.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,777 posts

The graphics driver you need is Version 8.15.10.2291

I am able to run Safe Mode with Networking, so it must not be the 6to4 adapter.

Correct, your internet should be using the more secure ipv4 which does not need the Microsoft 6to4 adapter.

evilduks

evilduks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I just ran that driver's installer and it gave an error saying that my computer does not meet the minimum requirements to install the software. While I was trying to run the installer, a pop up from the device manager came up saying that the Intel and Radeon graphics chips' drivers had been installed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,777 posts

How is the computer behaving since the graphics driver update.

evilduks

evilduks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I haven't had a chance to restart. I pretty much did the update as I was leaving for a weekend trip. I'll update when I am able to get back to it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,777 posts

:thumbsup:

evilduks

evilduks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Just started it up and it froze at the same place as last time. The population about the driver installation came up as the program was trying to run the installer and they had previously installed before I could run the installer. Is there any way to stop them from auto-installing the drivers?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,777 posts

Are you trying to install the drivers as described in my reply #14

I would download and save these to a pen drive, boot into Safe Mode only, uninstall the present chipset driver, restart in Safe Mode only, install the chipset drivers that you saved, restart and test, if still no joy, repeat the exact same procedure to install the video drivers that you also saved to the pen drive,

evilduks

evilduks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes. However, the grapgics drivers automatically install before I am able to run the installer and the installer says that my system does not meet the requirements for the driver software.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,777 posts

It is looking like a repair install is going to be needed but can I first ask you to confirm whether or not you tried both of the following when they were suggested back in reply #8

Boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, type msconfig and press Enter, make a note of what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.

Reboot and see if it runs better.

If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.

Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services until you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled. 

evilduks

evilduks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I tried both of these and both froze at "Starting Windows." I guess I'll start getting things backed up.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,777 posts

A wise approach then  :thumbsup:

I would try a Repair Install first of all, is the version of Windows on your parents computer that you mention making a recovery disk on the same as installed on your computer, both 64-bit Windows Home Premium for example.