Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

removing windows 8

• Please log in to reply

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hello friends i've always hated windows 8, so i'm not very used to it.
My sister laptop has a windows 8 OS,she wants me to format the laptop and replace windows 7 with windows 8.
I have many OS CDs,i first tried windows 7 CD but boot from cd failed,i then tried a windows vista CD failed aswell 3 windows XP CDs failed aswell.
Just to mention i did disable secure boot.
When i changed bootmode from uefi to csm a linux live cd that didn't work before worked fine,and one of the 3 windows XP CDs that failed before worked but when the setup is done loading files and want to start i get a BSOD
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF748E0BF,0xF8DA208,0xF78D9F08)
*** pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000,DateStamp 3b7d855c

first question : why i'm getting this BSOD
second question: if i use my linux live CD and use GParted can i get rid of the windows 8 partition ?
i think this should be possible but again if i do this my laptop will be without any os .
i have never installed and OS on laptop that have no OS on it but it should be the same
i still can access the boot menu,boot from CD and install another OS, am i right ?

thx in advance for any possible help :)

Advertisements

Gman147

Gman147

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

You can read more about your BSOD here.

There are a couple of ways that you can go about removing your W8 installation, my personal favorite is using a tool like DBAN to completely format the drive and then boot/install from the OS installation media you're trying to install.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You should also think about upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8. Much better operating system and easier to use. Sort of a combination of Windows 7 and 8.

See here: Windows 10 - Clean Install

Add Classic Shell to give you a Start Menu you are familiar with (or your sister) and I think you will both be happy with it.

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Well thanks mates it looks like i had problems with my CDS the CDS work but the boot not working.
I managed to get myself a new windows 7 CD and the boot worked .

You should also think about upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8. Much better operating system and easier to use. Sort of a combination of Windows 7 and 8.

See here: Windows 10 - Clean Install

Add Classic Shell to give you a Start Menu you are familiar with (or your sister) and I think you will both be happy with it.

I stopped using windows a year ago i prefer linux now, when i used to use windows my favorite was windows 7 that's why i did use it on my sister laptop.
About windows 10 well i didn't try it but i did hear lots of stories about it and it wasn't encouraging.

Gman147

Gman147

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I can understand that, back when I used the insider preview for W10, it was so buggy it actually became unbootable. It's much more stable now and I haven't had a single problem.