Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

naughty norton !

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
:tazz: HI, AM NEW TO THIS FORUM, ALTHOUGH IN THE PAST I HAVE RECEIVED A LOT OF HELP BY JUST BROWSING THE FORUM, BUT ON THIS OCCASSION I CANT FIND ANY POSTS THAT HELP. WHERE TO START ?????
RECENTLY HAD A MASS MAIL PROBLEM, WHEREBY ON STARTUP, MY NORTON INTERNETSECURITY 2005 HAD ITS AUTO PROTECT TURNED OFF AND THREAT ALERTS CAME UP. HAVE MANAGED TO DELETE THE MAIL WORM (I THINK ) AS IT HAS NOW GONE , OR STOPPED FUNCTIONING, HOWEVER, THE NORTON AUTO PROTECT STILL DISABLES ITSELF ON START UP. AS LONG AS I GET IT TURNED ON FAST ENOUGH I HAVE NO OBVIOUS PROBLEMS AT ALL. BUT TO BE SAFE I HAVE HAD A MESS AROUND.
I HAVE DISCONNECTED MY 40GIG DRIVE, AND INSTALLED A BRAND NEW MAXTOR 120 GIG DRIVE. THIS HAS BEEN FORMATTED AND HAD XP AND MY OTHER SOFTWARE ALL RE INSTALLED SUCCSESFULLY, HOWEVER, THE AUTO PROTECT PROBLEM PERSISTS. I HAVE RE- FORMATTED THE NEW DRIVE 4 TIMES AND RE INSTALLED MY PROGRAMS 1 BY 1 AND NO PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED. IT IS ONLY WHEN I RE-INSTALL NORTON INT SEC THAT THIS PROBLEM ARRISES. WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON. I AM GETTING SICK OF RE FORMATTING A BRAND NEW DRIVE, AND STARTING TO GET EVEN SICKER OF NORTON. ANTI VIRUS CHECKS COME UP CLEAN. IS THERE ACTUALY A SERIOUS PROBLEM OR IS NORTON JUST BEING OVER ZEALOUS. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME.

Edited by rxkevco, 15 June 2005 - 09:22 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Help us by not typing ALL CAPS.

According to Symantec, your problem can occur if you have a certain Microsoft Hotfix installed.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;819634

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
they also suggest the following

http://service1.syma...nis&svy=&csm=no

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Cant find the windows hotfix 811493 in my add/rem programs.
the only ones in there at the moment are hotfix kb842773 and q307271.
i have already looked at the other option on the symantic site, and regretably i have already been doing what it says to do , with only limited success.
kev :tazz: