Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't boot after 4gb ram memory upgrade? (Resolved)

Ram Upgrade

Best Answer phillpower2 , 11 January 2016 - 07:28 AM

Unfortunately yes. If the computer was a desktop there would often be an option in the BIOS to increase the voltage to the memory slots, this is not common on notebooks and in all honesty if y... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

NewbyTech

NewbyTech

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario CQ57-339WM Notebook PC,

I want to do Memory Upgrade,

I recently purchased  4gb DDR PC10600 1333 MHZ pc3..

i JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THIS IS THE CORRECT UPGRADE FOR MY SYSTEM.. I INSTALLED AND IT WOULD NOT BOOT UP.. TRIED 3 TIMES.. NOTHING.. REPLACED THE ORIGINAL 1 dimm 2 gb DDR.. TOOK A FEW TRIES BUT I FINALLY GOT IT TO BOOT UP.. I AM TEXTING YOU ON IT NOW.. I NEED TO KNOW IF I DID THE RIGHT ORDER.. OR IS THERE SOMETHING I AM NOT DOING TO GET THIS UPGRADE TO WORK FOR ME.. THANKS

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:    NewbyTech,

As long as the voltage does not exceed 1.35V the Ram you have should be fine, do you have a link to where you obtained the Ram from.

Have you tried putting the 4GB stick in as well as the 2GB stick giving you 6GB in total.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

NewbyTech

NewbyTech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

:welcome:    NewbyTech,

As long as the voltage does not exceed 1.35V the Ram you have should be fine, do you have a link to where you obtained the Ram from.

Have you tried putting the 4GB stick in as well as the 2GB stick giving you 6GB in total.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This is the Ram Memory used..  I installed.. and the pc would not boot.. tried several times.. nothing.. put in 2gb with 4gb.. nothing.. wont boot up.. removed both..  installed 2gb original Memory.. Booted up???

Edited by NewbyTech, 11 January 2016 - 07:12 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The specs at your link show that the Ram is the 1.5V type meaning that it will not be getting enough power from the memory slot/s.

specification.gif

4GB DDR3 PC3-10600
Low Density Chipsets
Laptop Memory
1333MHz  
204 Pins
Unbuffered, Non-ECC, Non-Registered
1.5V
CL 9
Dual Channel Support
Lifetime Warranty
Best Quality Chipset
Brand New in Antistatic Bag
Guarantee to Work on Dell, HP, Sony, IBM, Compaq, Emachine and Gateway Laptops for those use DDR3 PC3-10600 memory

Edit to add;

Ram that is compatible with your computer here, note that it is only 1.35V.

Edited by phillpower2, 11 January 2016 - 07:22 AM.
As per the above.

NewbyTech

NewbyTech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Wow.. so that means I need 1.35v Ram?

Ok. Thanks 

So the Voltage is the issue.. wow..  O well return to sender.. 

Thanks a bunch

Edited by NewbyTech, 11 January 2016 - 07:30 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

Unfortunately yes.

If the computer was a desktop there would often be an option in the BIOS to increase the voltage to the memory slots, this is not common on notebooks and in all honesty if you have to start increasing voltages to get something to work then it is best to not bother and obtain the correct spec item that you need.

JAFYI: Incorrect spec hardware will sometimes work for a short time before failing, this scenario is worse because it causes damage to other hardware.

Edit to add

You can check for yourself the best Ram for your computer, see my canned text below;

Use the Crucial system scanner tool here to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details, let us know what is suggested and we can take a look for you. 

Edited by phillpower2, 11 January 2016 - 08:39 AM.
As per the above.