Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help with installing dvd writer

• Please log in to reply

nelce

nelce

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I was looking for help regarding installation of my new dvd writer. I'm essentially having the same problem as the person in this post:

http://www.geekstogo...ive-t31096.html

So to begin, I originally had a dvd-rom and a cdrw drive. I just purchased a LITEON SOHW-1693S dvd writer. I replaced the cdrw drive with the new dvd writer. the dvdrom is set as master, dvd writer as slave. i have confirmed this.

when i boot up my computer, the bios recognises both of these as a secondary ide device. but when i enter windows xp and click on my computer, both drives are not present. i check device manager and both appear as "unknown devices".

i've tried uninstalling them, rebooting. a balloon on the systemtray pops up saying it recognises the dvdrom and the dvdwriter drives. i click on device manager and once again, it says they are 'unknown devices'

i further go to remove the dvdwriter...put BACK my old cdrw drive in to how it was before...and bios recognises, but windows doesnt....so now NONE of my drives are showing up...which i find to be very odd...

could anyone please help me with this issue? thanks in advance!

p.s. i looked for drivers on the liteon site, and it seems like there are none for these...it just says it uses the windows default drivers.

Edited by nelce, 15 June 2005 - 09:39 AM.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
you might have a registry issue, since the original cdrw has problems, now.

here are a couple of hardware troubleshooting suggestions to try while waiting for other replies:

1. delete the secondary devices using device manager. shutdown. disconnect the cables to all of the secondary devices, then restart. look at device manager.

2. if the devices are still cleared from the device manager list, shutdown, reconnect the original cdrw, then restart.

please post results and details of any error messages

if the original cdrw still does not work, then there are other issues(registry, ... )

nelce

nelce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks for your reply.

i did as you suggested.

after deleting the devices, unplugging the cables, and restarting, the drives remain deleted from device manager.

then i plugged the devices back in, reboot. bios recognises the drive, when windows startup, it recognises that there was new hardware attached. but they still dont show up in my computer, and it appears in device manager as "unknown device" with a yellow exclamation point symbol next to it...

no errors throughout this process.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
the idea of the earlier post was to test the known good drive - the original cdrw.

then i plugged the devices back in

please retry with only the known good drive - the original cdrw.

nelce

nelce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi,

actually, yesterday, i tried this with the dvdrom drive, which was also good to begin with...and nothing showed up in windows either....

is it still necessary to test the cdrw? i did the same thing with the dvdrom drive...

after all that now,

i tried to install ONLY the new dvdrw drive as a master...and that also doesn't work...

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
it's up to you on retesting the cdrw. I suspect a problem beyond an installation problem. I wasn't very clear, sorry.

reasons to test a known good drive:
1. eliminate hardware problems with cables, mother board, other drives, jumpers
2. the test results(good or bad) will help in deciding the next test

if you have time to try the test - great. if not, please wait for other posts/ideas.

nelce

nelce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well, i could retest the cdrw drive
but i suspect the result will be the same as the one done with the dvdrom drive....since that drive worked before too..
but after installing the dvdrw drive, NOTHING works anymore...even when i revert back to the old settings with dvdrom+cdrw, or dvdrom alone.

let me try cdrw...i'll get back to you with that..

nelce

nelce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
okay
i just did as you suggested, but i got the same results.

bios recognises the cdrw drive, upon loading windows xp, a balloon pops up says 'new hardware found'...but still doesn't show up in my computer, and appears as an 'unknown device' in device manager.

and this drive worked just fine before.

same thing with the dvdrom drive...i did the same thing..just left dvdrom as a master, and no slave...didn't work either...

did the same thing with the dvdrw drive alone...same thing...windows doesn't read it properly..

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
good post and good testing. harwdare issues have pretty much been eliminated.

next:
look at the registry(I'm not too knowledgable here)

suggestion -search on this site for registry and cdrom topics while waiting for new replies on this topic

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ugh.

start > run
regedit
enter

I want you to naviate to the following keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\IDE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet001\Enum\IDE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet002\Enum\IDE

Export each key, naming it

cc0.reg
cc1.reg
and cc2.reg

zip them all up and attach here.

want to take a look at what windows is looking at.

nelce

nelce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks for everyone's reply..i actually called liteon's custoomer service, and they told me which registry files to delete and it works now..thanks for everyone's help!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
was it the upperlifters and lowerlifters?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

nelce,
I'm very happy your problem is resolved. can you expand on how you fixed your problem? several users have had similar problems and you could greatly help many others with more details on how you solved your problem. your solution may be the answer to many problems users are facing out there in the world. thanks in advance.

bdlt

hey,

all i did was go into registry editor, and delete the upper and lower limits in the folder "4D36E965" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CURRENTCONTROLSET --> CONTROL --> CLASS --> 4D36E965

restarted my computer, and everythign worked perfectly =)