Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DELL WORKSTATION 450 - WON'T BOOT UP (Resolved)

Best Answer Malcolm164 , 16 February 2016 - 10:36 AM

Hi Phil, I am getting no where with this, DELL say they do not support Windows 7 on this computer (yet its been working for several months). So I have this pm bought a another later version Dell co... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Malcolm164

Malcolm164

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

When I switch on my DELL 450 Workstation it stops with the message "no boot device available"

If I press F2 and go into the BIOS menu the HD is recognised as the "Primary Drive 0", but in "Boot Sequence" only the numbers 1,2 and 3 are listed but no items next to them eg. HD, CD etc.

If on start up I press F12  (Boot Menu) and then select "Boot to Utility Partition" it allows me to start my OS (Windows 7) which then runs normally.

Is this a hardware or software fault and how can it be fixed?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

:welcome:    Malcolm164,

If on start up I press F12  (Boot Menu) and then select "Boot to Utility Partition" it allows me to start my OS (Windows 7) which then runs normall

The DELL 450 Workstation originally shipped with XP meaning that the Dell Utility Partition must have been reinstalled at some point, is that correct.

Have you checked that the time and date in the BIOS are correct.

Can we have an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager, see below;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Malcolm164

Malcolm164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

:welcome:    Malcolm164,

If on start up I press F12  (Boot Menu) and then select "Boot to Utility Partition" it allows me to start my OS (Windows 7) which then runs normall

The DELL 450 Workstation originally shipped with XP meaning that the Dell Utility Partition must have been reinstalled at some point, is that correct.

Have you checked that the time and date in the BIOS are correct.

Can we have an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager, see below;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Attached Thumbnails

• DELL 450 -DISC MANAGEMENT 1 .jpg
  • DELL 450 - DISC MANAGEMENT 2 .jpg

Malcolm164

Malcolm164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi Phil, thanks for the instructions, is A04 attached are 2 screen shots of the disc management info (cant get full width on 1 shot). The BIOS  time is correct and its version is A04

Malcolm164

Malcolm164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

HI Phil, sorry not used this forum before so I think I messed up with my reply to you, so I will retry.

attached are 2 screen shots of the disc management screen because I could not get it all in one. The BIOS time/date are correct, and the BIOS version is A04.

Thanks for your help. Regards Malcolm

Attached Thumbnails

• DELL 450 -DISC MANAGEMENT 1 .jpg
  • DELL 450 - DISC MANAGEMENT 2 .jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Malcolm,

No worries  :thumbsup:

Odd screenshots as in only one partition on the HDD and XP identified as the OS.

Can we try a different approach to this please;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed.

Malcolm164

Malcolm164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi Phil,

I have run "speccy". The URL is "www.piriform.com/speccy/release-notes/1.29.714/b1/a0" is that all you need? The computer was running ok then when I put it on having been away for 2 weeks I had this problem. I did, a few days ago, reload the Windows 7 OS. It is not my main computer but one I run various communication software on. Regards Malcolm

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Malcolm,

Sorry but that is not the correct url, it takes you to here

Malcolm164

Malcolm164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi Phil, found where I went wrong, however when I "publish" the URL , my other computer does not find it! The URL is: http:speccy.piriform.com/results/ffgjksyKAY57HTXhft2wqjs . You try or is there something I am still doing wrong? Regards Malcolm

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hi Malcolm,

Link not working for me I`m afraid  :(

See if the info here helps any.

:oops:  missed a bit  :whistling:

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

My layman's explanation;

Run Speccy, when completed, click on File, select publish snapshot, proceed = yes, select open in browser, left click on the url to highlight it, right click to copy the url, in the dialogue input (reply) box here right click and then select paste from the drop down box. 

Advertisements

Malcolm164

Malcolm164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi Phil, I cannot get the speccy URL  to publish, it goes through the motions as per the instructions, so in desperation I have saved it as a txt doc attached . iT has all the same info. Regards Malcolm

Edited by phillpower2, 16 January 2016 - 05:12 AM.
Removed Speccy log for security.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hi Malcolm,

No problem a text doc is fine but can I ask that you edit out the product key code for Windows 7, the reason that I ask for a url is because no product key details are displayed.

While I look at your Speccy log, in addition to the above, you have two AVs running, not a good idea, the two can conflict, cancel each other out, crash the computer and leave you with no protection whatsoever, see admin tutorial here

Edit to add;

Other than there being two AVs running and Windows 7 needing to be fully updated I see nothing untoward, if Bullguard is a paid for product uninstall MSE and test.

You have some serious security options there, not an area that I am comfortable with and you may know better than I if any could be preventing a normal boot.

Malcolm164

Malcolm164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Morning Phil, thanks for your help and patience. I will try as you suggested. Regards Malcolm

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

No worries Malcolm, reply when you can  :thumbsup:

Please note that your Speccy log was removed due to it having your Windows product key included.

Malcolm164

Malcolm164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

No worries Malcolm, reply when you can  :thumbsup:

Please note that your Speccy log was removed due to it having your Windows product key included.

Morning Phil,

I have disabled the Windows AV as suggested but alas no change in the boot up process. I have managed to get the SPECCY to work. Try: "speccy.piriform.com/results/mvu8ef3HEuT1jTenMCsLtlb" it works for me on my other computer. Any other suggestions will be welcome otherwise I will have to give up. Regards Malcolm