Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Faces of facebook

• Please log in to reply

Ag10077

Ag10077

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there. I didn't know what Category to put this in so I really hope someone can please help answer this question for me. I saw this site app.facesoffacebook.com that indexes all 1.23 billion people and shows their profile pictures on one page. You are able to find yourself and your friends on there. It was a project created by Natalie Rojas. You can read more about it here: http://www.dailymail...-ONE-place.html. My question is: How did she make this website? If it ever got taken down I'd like to make my own. Because I love discovering new people on there. Apparently she indexed all profiles using computer codes. But can anyone tell me how would someone go about making this website? Thank you.

Advertisements

MattFS

MattFS

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

I doubt that they indexed (and are constantly indexing) all Facebook users' pictures and profile links--they probably grab the data as needed from Facebook using one of their APIs. You can tell when you zoom in that it's a bunch of random colored blocks that are replaced with profile pictures only when you zoom in. It looks like it was created entirely with Javascript/jquery, so if you just open the page and press Control+U on your keyboard you can see the source code. You could possibly download all the javascript files and recreate the website on your own computer, but that'd require quite a bit of programming knowledge to pull off.

Edited by Matt@fullspectrum, 17 January 2016 - 12:04 AM.