Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screens with different repeated errors (Resolved)

Best Answer amelia451 , 08 February 2016 - 04:35 AM

I did the Recovery thing and after it was done I decided that I hate windows 8 and there was no way I would waste my time again to set up all the programms I needed from the start, so I i... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

amelia451

amelia451

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

What the #%$#!

I DID uninstall Mcaffe according to your instructions!

And then I checked for a similar tool in order to uninstall AVG (AVG_Remover.exe I think) in case it was not uninstalled completely but I must have done something wrong (I remember running it and getting the message "avg is not installed in this computer" and I clicked the "run the uninstall anyway" or something like that. But then it got stuck and I clicked cancel, I didn't expect it to leave traces of it!).

I'll clean it asap! 

edit/

I just realised that these lines

Firewall
Firewall: 
Enabled
Display Name: 
AVG REMOVER

refer to the avg uninstaller I hadn't deleted yet after using it.

I did the uninstalling of both AVs again, but Mcaffee just wont go away!!!

http://speccy.pirifo...jGUMerYyOVXPScv

Also, I don't understand how can I delete files from a specific partition. I deleted A LOT of movies etc but partition 5 still has only 9% free space as before. Maybe I must tell you that these partitions were not created by me, it was like that when I bought it and I don't know what files I should remove in order to unload it a bit.

Edited by amelia451, 04 February 2016 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

You do have a point. Maybe that's a backup partition which contains the OEM OS.

Here try this tool to get rid of it: http://downloads.pca...tivirus_remover

jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• Expert
  • 92 posts
  • MVP

Given that NTFS is mentioned at all in the dumps, it would be prudent to run HDD diagnostic tool SeaTools for DOS, LONG test -

https://www.sysnativ...iagnostics.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

How is the computer behaving since the remedial steps were done.

Can you post an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager which you can access by pressing the WIN and X keys together on your keyboard, alternatively from Windows 8.1 update you can right-click with the mouse or stylus on the Start button to bring up the menu. 

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

amelia451

amelia451

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

@phillpower2 

I had 2-3 BSOD yesterday but I was not there to see the error on them. Do you want me to upload the minidumps?

I have tried to do some windows updates manually but even the smallest one (just a few KB) was failing (thus am I right to think that free space in partition 5 might not be the problem here?). Perhaps I should mention that I am constantly prompted to upgrade to Windows 10 but I avoid it for now.

Mcafee still wont go away!!!

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LkDxUcipP4sW8U68QXOgErg

Here is the printscreen you asked for:

21kbeo2.png

@jcgriff2

I'll give it a go, thanks!

@EmishOrc

If I understand correctly this Antivirus Remover you posted is just a softeware that gives you info (url) on which remover tool is the appropriate for you, I clicked on Mcafee and I got MCPR.exe again (it's the same exe phillpower2 suggested that I should use). I run it once again but Mcafee is still there

Edited by amelia451, 05 February 2016 - 06:39 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Interesting that five of those partitions are shown to be empty  :headscratch:

You are right to not upgrade to Windows 10 atm but only until you resolve the present issue/s, Windows 10 is faster and more user friendly than 8 and 8.1 + you have a 30 day option to roll back to 8.1 if you do not like 10.

Suggestions, download and run the HGST Windows Drive Fitness Test (WinDFT) here

Refresh Windows 8.1, without losing your personal data, steps courtesy of Microsoft copy/paste below;

To refresh your PC
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the top-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click Update and recovery, then tap or click Recovery.

3. Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap or click Get started.

4. Follow the instructions on the screen.

amelia451

amelia451

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
✓  Best Answer

I did the Recovery thing and after it was done I decided that I hate windows 8 and there was no way I would waste my time again to set up all the programms I needed from the start, so I installed Ubuntu and now it works fine!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Edited by amelia451, 08 February 2016 - 04:37 AM.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Welcome to Linux ^

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I did the Recovery thing and after it was done I decided that I hate windows 8 and there was no way I would waste my time again to set up all the programms I needed from the start, so I installed Ubuntu and now it works fine!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Glad to hear that the refresh worked but would still recommend that you test the HDD if you have not already done so.

You are most welcome amelia451  :)

amelia451

amelia451

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I tried that before the Recovery but it couldn't find anything to test and then I saw at the user guide this whick I think is the reason:

"Please note: WinDFT is not designed to run on your primary operating drive."

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I see, not that it matters any but it would have been worth trying Seatools for Dos, by the by now though, not sure how you are running Ubuntu as in Live CD etc but you can test the HDD using Ubuntu, see the Checking you HDD or SDD information here

amelia451

amelia451

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

you think there is a point in that? Cause it works fine now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If only for your peace of mind yes, I mentioned the worrying NTFS errors in my reply #8 and jcgriff2 highlighted them again in his reply #18, better that you test the HDD and know one way or the other if it is good or bad.