Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having Trouble Controlling Computer

• Please log in to reply

JHiggins201

JHiggins201

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Hello, I am here because I need serious help.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976, a rather older computer that runs Windows 7. I've had this laptop for over 5 years, now. Speed and performance wise, it gets a fair rating. But quite a while ago, I began experiencing problems when it came to controlling my computer. It all started back when I first reset my computer with Windows 10. After resetting, the keyboard and mouse started showing strange behavior, for example, the mouse would stop responding when I was using it, or the keyboard would sometimes press keys when I'm not pressing them, or keys won't work. Even writing this thread is a pain, because every time I pressed the 'period' key, my page would automatically scroll to the bottom, and continues to stick there until I press the 'up' arrow.

So, I reset Windows 10 once again. The problems ended up disappearing. Sounds amazing, right? It did, until those problems came back. So, I reset again. I couldn't even set my computer up for use. So, I finally factory reset my PC. Everything goes back to Windows 7, and my problems remain. I have no idea how to fix them, I've tried updating my drivers when there's no update available. Some parts of me blame Windows 10, and the other parts blame the keyboard itself, but I'm very unsure. I can't do anything I need or want to do, whether for school or personal things, without being annoyed by these growing pains. I can confirm that the keyboard doesn't stick, some problems disappear once I press a certain button on the keyboard, but do come back. Like when I click by tapping the touchpad, and it doesn't work until I press the 'Start' button on the keyboard.

I have no idea if posting here would help, but I highly doubt it. If you can, please save me the financial trouble of buying a new PC, and any help, success or no success, would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by JHiggins201, 17 January 2016 - 12:19 AM.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi JHiggins201,

Welcome to GeeksToGo! :)

Once your laptop was restored back to the factory reset of Windows 7 did you make sure to go to Windows updates? In the 5 years that you have had the laptop, several hundred Windows Updates have been made available including Service Pack 1 and IE11.

If you computer is up to date with all the updates, it might be a good idea to start troubleshooting by running check disk to make sure your hard drive is in good standing.

Please do as follows:
  • Click on Start > Run and type in cmd
  • Press Enter
  • In the Command Prompt window type chkdsk c:/r (or copy and paste) and press Enter.
    Please Note the space between k c:/r
  • The next dialog box will now show the following:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>
  • Type Y and reboot the computer.
  • Checkdisk will start once the computer reboots. It can take up to an hour or more to complete as it goes through the stages. Allow it to run uninterrupted till complete.
To find the log that is produced please do the following:

Please download ListChkdskResult by SleepyDude to the desktop.
  • Double click on the icon and click Run
  • The log will appear on your desktop as a .txt file and the notepad will open.
Please copy and paste the results in your next reply.

Thank you,

Donna :)

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Maybe both the touch pad and keyboard maybe developed a fault somewhere?

By the way DonnaB wasn't it 900 fixes or have I lost count since?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
 By the way DonnaB wasn't it 900 fixes or have I lost count since?

The number of updates is variable depending on the exact installation concerned, however Donna was "spot on"

....several hundred covers it!

Regards

paws

JHiggins201

JHiggins201

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

DonnaB,

I've tried installing as many updates as possible. Afterwards, I did schedule for chkdsk, however, it cancels the scan on its own before it even does anything.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi JHiggins201,

it cancels the scan on its own before it even does anything.

Could you explain that in more detail please? Can you type "Y" and press Enter key? What happens when you reboot?

JHiggins201

JHiggins201

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I can type everything on my keyboard fine (whenever it feels like typing).

When the computer boots into ChkDsk, it displays a message telling me that my scan has been scheduled. There is text underneath it that changes to fast for me to read, as it tells me that the scan has been cancelled.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ok. Thanks for the information. I am going to see if we can get seatools to run. In the meantime, I'll see what I can find on your keyboard issues.

Please do as follows:
  • Download SeaTools for Windows from >>HERE<<
  • You'll have to scroll down to click on the blue I Accept button at the bottom of the License Agreement before downloading.
  • Next, to find the download, scroll down to Step 1 found under Instructions.
  • Click on the blue Download button.
  • Save the file to your desktop.
To install:
  • Right click on the setup file and choose Run as administrator.
  • Click Yes on the UAC pop up and click Next >
  • Click the dial button to the left of I accept the terms of the License Agreement and click Next >
  • Destination folder should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Seagate\SeaTools for Windows\, click Next >
  • At the bottom of the next window click the Install button, then click the Finish button.
To run:
  • Look for the SeaTools icon with a shortcut arrow.
  • Right click and choose Run as administrator, click Yes on the UAC pop up.
  • Allow time for seatools to scan for supported drives.
  • Click the I accept button on the License Agreement.
  • On the user interface screen that opens, click on the box to the left of your detected hard drive. (see red arrow in image below)
  • Next click the Basic Tests button and click on Short Drive self test (see green arrow).
    Seatools%203_1.jpg
  • The test will begin automatically and shouldn't take very long.
  • Under Drive Status it will say Pass or Fail.
  • Let me know the results.

JHiggins201

JHiggins201

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

It ended up passing the test.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
That's good news. You pointed out that you tried updating the drivers after you reset your laptop back to Win7. I am surprised that that didn't fix the problem. If you restored back to factory settings, the original drivers for those devices should have been reinstalled as well. You pointed out that you tried updating the drivers. Did you try rolling them back or going into the device properties and adjust the settings or disable the touchpad, reboot then reenable it. I'd keep a USB mouse near by if you try that last suggestion.

Here's another thought. Go into your Control Panel and click on mouse (or similar). Look for the Device Settings tab and click on it. Look to see if there is a Reset Device button anywhere and click on it. Do the same for the keyboard.

Many are having this issue after the W10 upgrade so it's not just you if that's any comfort.

Advertisements

JHiggins201

JHiggins201

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

It does make me feel more comfortable knowing I wasn't the only one having this issue after Windows 10.

Unfortunately, it appears that I don't have a setting in the Control Panel to reset my mouse and keyboard. I did disable the touchpad and restart my computer, and it didn't help. I also don't have an option to disable the keyboard, maybe because it is a Microsoft Standard keyboard.

Earlier today, I uninstalled the driver for my keyboard and restarted (knowing that Windows would automatically reinstall it), and that didn't help.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Uninstalling the driver and having you reboot would have been my next suggestion.

Did you use the "Go Back to Windows 7" option in Windows 10? I've heard that when you upgrade to Windows 10 it wipes the drive completely. Is there a recovery partition for Win7 still intact?

JHiggins201

JHiggins201

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Actually, I didn't use a "Go back to Windows 7" option.

In Toshiba PCs, we are able to access Toshiba's recovery menu by holding '0' while it's booting up. Nothing can touch Toshiba's recovery partition, not even Windows 10.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hm? I am stumped. Far as I am concerned, since you used the hidden recovery partition, which would have reinstalled all the original drivers there shouldn't be a problem, but as I mentioned before, others did have this same issue.

You may to go the manufacturer of the device and download the drivers from there to see if that works.

Here's a link of links that might help. Downgrade to Win7 from Win 10 keyboard and touchpad issues

JHiggins201

JHiggins201

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

So, I downloaded Driver Talent (a.k.a. "Drive the Life"). I was prompted for an update to my touchpad's driver. So, I installed the driver (manually, since I had the free version), and nothing works, still.

I feel as if there is no real solution to this problem from here. It continues to get worse, I can't even open an app from my desktop without my computer spamming me with, "Are you sure you want to move to Recycle Bin?," and it literally opens that dialog box multiple times simultaneously until the shadow around their windows become dark, and thick.