Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System error 5 | No admin rights | Lost admin password | can't res

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

nathaneal

nathaneal

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi

Yet again, Windows is frustratingly taking up all of my time and I have tried everything google has to offer to try and fix it but it seems like no one has screwed up as much as I have on whatever forum.

Let me explain the problem:

I'm trying to set my account to administrator because I can't install programs, change account settings, make any changes through CMD without getting the system error 5 access denied message and I can't set the administrator account through CMD either. I also don't have the permission to change anything in regedit and I can't even reset my pc because it requires an administrator password which I don't have, is not "nothing" nor is it administrator or admin or password and I can't change it through cmd either.

I can't even access the administrator account because it is disabled and even with an elevated cmd I can't activate the "hidden" administrator account. I've ran malwarebytes and superantispyware and I am now looking for the Gandalf of all Geeks to help me solve this problem.

I'd immensely appreciate it!

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi nathaneal and welcome to our forum,

:welcome:

Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing.

it is against the "Terms of Use" of our site to provide assistance on "getting around/breaking passwords" etc....(it's impossible at long range on a forum such as this to know who has a legitimate issue where ownership of the computer and its data and rights to use its applications is undoubted, or where someone who has no legitimate right or a questionable right, might attempt to use a forum's expertise to circumvent legitimate protections that have been installed for  prevent unauthorised access....

I am sure that your request is completely legitimate, however hopefully you will understand the dilemma that we find ourselves in....and rather than trying to establish ownership rights and legalities via  the forum we have the blanket rule on not providing help in these circumstances.

However we will make some suggestions that do not break our Terms of Use that may point you in the right direction.

1 Any user account that has admin privileges can set up a new account either as a standard user or as another admin, so maybe the first port of call is to ask an administrator to set you up a new account and grant you admin status. For this of course you will need to "speak" with the existing administrator

2 Formatting the operating system and reinstalling Windows will remove the admin account and all other material on the computer, allowing the reinstall to proceed, and then you can set you own password... but make sure that your backups are 100 % effective, contain everything you need (including Windows and application product serial keys) see 3 below re; BIOS/UEFI passwords

3 If the BIOS/UEFI has been password protected and you don't have the password then its unlikely that the computer will start into Windows, if its the Windows password (for startup post BIOS/UEFI) that is missing then see 4 below.

4 If the above does not provide the solution then we can assist you no further, other than to recommend that you take your computer to your nearest competent computer technician together with proof of ownership (documentary proof etc) and seek a quotation for the format and reinstall of the operating system and the removal of the BIOS/UEFI password and or other protections.

NOTE sometimes it is not possible for this to be achieved... hence the importance of getting a firm quotation for the work before proceeding.

Regards

paws