Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDMI to DVI?

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

I am looking at a new computer that only has HDMI output.  My monitor has VGA and DVI.  I have a cable that has HDMI on one side and DVI on the other.  The DVI is two small blocks of pins, rather than one big one.

Will all of these go together and work properly?

The new computer has no speaker jack, but does have a headphone jack.  I tried attaching my speakers to the headphone jack on my old computer and it works the same as the speaker jack.  Can I count on the new one working properly also?

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

the HDMI to DVI adapter is likely DVI-D or DVI-I (which is a digital signal just like HDMI), there is another type of DVI which is DVI-A which is analog. as long as your monitor doesn't have a DVI-A port on it, that adapter should work. if it does have DVI-A you'd need a converter or another monitor

yes, the headphone jack is exactly the same as a regular 3.5mm speaker jack. so the speakers should work fine in the headphone jack.

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

the HDMI to DVI adapter is likely DVI-D or DVI-I (which is a digital signal just like HDMI), there is another type of DVI which is DVI-A which is analog. as long as your monitor doesn't have a DVI-A port on it, that adapter should work. if it does have DVI-A you'd need a converter or another monitor

yes, the headphone jack is exactly the same as a regular 3.5mm speaker jack. so the speakers should work fine in the headphone jack.

I googled on DVI-D.  The cable is DVI-D single link while the monitor port is a DVI-D double link.  Compatible?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

should be