Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VGA to HDMI converter problems

• Please log in to reply

cool4cats

cool4cats

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Please can someone help me?! I'm at my wits end trying to set up my computer base unit to my HDMI TV screen to no avail.
I only want the TV screen connected, not a PC monitor too.

My computer only has a VGA connection, so on good advice I bought a VGA to HDMI converter. I followed the instructions carefully and connected all the cables up in the correct places.
I switched on my computer and TV and switched to the HDMI channel, all I get is a blue screen and a 'no signal' message.
Someone suggested I needed to change the resolution on my computer to a 720 setting or 1080 ending, which I did but the blue screen remained.

The TV I'm using was bought from a friend who had it connected to a HDMI graphics card in her computer and all worked fine. I was told the VGA to HDMI converter needed no setup, it was plug and play, but for me it's not the case. Could it be the case that it's not compatible with my TV? 
I'm thinking of getting a HDMI graphics card like my friend did, but didn't want to give up on the converter without a fight first. clear.png

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   cool4cats, 

all I get is a blue screen and a 'no signal' message.

You can get such a message when the computer hardware is not good enough to be able to work on larger screens.

Can we have some further information please.

Is the computer a notebook or desktop, if a desktop,  is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, the Ram (including the amount) and the add on video card if one is used. 

Do you have a link to the VGA to HDMI converter that you have purchased and the same for the TV that you are wanting to connect your computer to.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

cool4cats

cool4cats

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi phillpower2 and thanks for the welcome.

My computer is a desktop HP Compaq Pentium ® Dual Core, the model number is VC495EA#ABU.  The RAM is 2.00 GB and there isn't a graphics card, just the on-board chip.

Here's the link to the VGA to HDMI converter:
http://www.maplin.co...o-support-n47hh

The model of my TV is Bush IDLCD32TV27HD, it's a few years old but my friend used it to connect to her computer without a problem.

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I switched on my computer and TV and switched to the HDMI channel

Did you switch to the HDMI channel that corresponds to the HDMI port that the device is connected to, this only if your TV has more than one HDMI port (most do)

Cant find a manual for your TV, does it happen to have a VGA port and does it have a built in DVD player (some models abroad are the same TV but are labelled differently).

The device you purchased doesnt look to bad and technically it should work if connected up right and on the correct HDMI channel, there were a few bad reviews at Maplin though, if you have not read them please do.

You are welcome btw  :)

cool4cats

cool4cats

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

My TV has only one HDMI port, so no problem finding the HDMI channel.

It doesn't have a VGA port or a built in DVD.

I'll read the reviews about my converter now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The connections are straight forward then VGA in to the adaptor, HDMI out from the device into the TV and the power cable connected and on.

This leaves either an integrated video chip that is too weak, a DOA VGA to HDMI converter or a TV that is not compatible with such a device.

cool4cats

cool4cats

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I know the converter works OK, as I had originally taken back a faulty one, but the replacement was tested to prove it worked. So it could be either of the other two reasons you mentioned.

Thanks for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Cant think of anything else to suggest with not having a user manual for the TV, have you by any chance tried manually tuning the TV to see if a signal is detected.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

like phil can't find info on the tv but at a guess i'm going to say the problem is more than likely screen resolution not compatible with your tv, and your pc can't auto find and set a resolution that works with it like maybe your friends laptop could.

so try setting your screen resolution to 1280x720 (or smaller) and see if you then get a picture displayed.

:popcorn:

if still no luck with using the 1280x720 resolution or lower, the next thing i'd look at is the refresh rate, start off at 60htz and then try lower refresh rates to see if that makes a difference.

Edited by terry1966, 23 January 2016 - 09:43 PM.