Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Wont Start, Fans Spin Then Stop, then repeats. (Solved)

Computer Wont Start

• Please log in to reply

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hi Guys,

I have a 2nd Gen Core i7 processor

8GB of ram (4 x 2GB sticks)

GTX 560 TI graphics card

Computer is a Dell XPS

This is a 3 year old computer.

HISTORY

I have had issues with my RAM for about a year. my computer would just crash and the orange power light would flash. Sometimes it just wouldn't start after a proper shutdown. i have a lazy computer tech who has screwed me around in the past and he said to me it was just the RAM not in properly. so i would push the ram sticks in (not that they felt out) and the computer would start up and run fine... this would happen about once every 2 weeks or so (Sometimes more, really depends how much i used it and for what) anyways i would disconnect the power, de-static and push lightly on the ram sticks and it would start again.

Fast Forward to present day and my computer now wont start...

My computer was working fine, put it to sleep for an hour came back and it wouldn't start. the fans will spin for a second then stop. this action keeps repeating. I pushed on the Ram sticks and still wont work.. that same computer guy now said it was the PSU gone so he connected up a new PSU and the exact same problem happened.. so he said my motherboard is screwed and to buy a new PC from him. Unfortunately... even though i want to upgrade i don't have the funds to by a new $2000 dollar (AU) PC right now... could it be the RAM at all? The computer guy said no... but he never even touched it at all.

Please help... this is my last resort.

Edited by Giibl3ts, 20 January 2016 - 11:14 PM.

Advertisements

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Hi Giibl3ts,

At first I would of said either PSU or Mobo failure, seeing how you said the guy tried another power supply and the issue still remained it leaves me to believe that it might be the motherboard.

When booting do you hear any beeps?

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
No beeps at all... I have spare ram sticks that I know work and I have removed everything including the gfx card and tried all different ram sticks in different slots and still nothing... Reset the cmos battery still nothing... Guess the mobo is dead...

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I believe that orange flashing light you use to get means power supply or motherboard failure which gives me another reason to suspect the motherboard. Sounds like you have tested everything I would suggest and unfortunately it seems like it is all leading to the motherboard.

There are people here with a lot more experience in this subject so hopefully they see this and give you a second opinion.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

We may be able to narrow down the fault with some testing as it could be other than a MB fault. 

Did your PC ever beep?   Usually once, just before Windows loads.

Do you have a system speaker installed? should be on the MB front header panel.

Can you enter the BIOS/EFI?

Can you start in Safe Mode?

Rather than interpolating, please read this troubleshooting article.   NB. 

Before removing the CPU, try the other steps first, post back and let us know your thoughts.    

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I don't think the motherboard ever beeped, and if it did it hasn't for the last two years. So I'm guessing it doesn't have a speaker... I'm hoping that the mobo isn't dead because all the fans still spin for a second or so..

The computer does not get to the bios screen so i cannot start it in safe mode. Not at home right now so i cannot see what type of motherboard it is. I will post that soon.

Also i cannot see the link to the troubleshooting article you are talking about.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Giibl3ts, 21 January 2016 - 03:39 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:oops:  Missed adding the link, > http://www.computerh...es/ch001089.htm

MB speaker, Local PC shop may have then, eBay, Amazon, > http://www.techbuy.c...ic/MB-PIEZO.asp

I'm hoping that the mobo isn't dead because all the fans still spin for a second or so

Overheating can also cause this symptom, the TIM, (Thermal interface material) completely dries out and no longer transfers heat to the cooler properly.

Although you have cleared the CMOS, as part of of troubleshooting, it is worth installing a new CMOS battery,  

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The motherboard is a Dh67mo1 I have some thermal paste and I will replace that soon and report back.

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok so now I have disconnected everything but the power button.. Power going to the mother board. The 2 fans And one ram stick that I have tried in a multiple slots.. Also with multiple ram sticks.. Still does the exact same thing. And have removed the heatsink and cleaned the old thermal paste off which looked quite old and reapplied new thermal paste.. Still the fans spin on and off for a second that's it... Sooo.... Am I all out of options now? Just wanna make sure I do everything I can... Oh and I haven't brought a motherboard speaker..

Edited by Giibl3ts, 22 January 2016 - 12:30 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

No, we still have some options by going to a min configuration which will rule out all other hardware.  

Perform a bare bones set up and test.

Remove everything from the MB, except the CPU and heatsink/fan.   Remove the MB fro the case and place it on a piece of cardboard slightly larger than the board.

Check the CPU fan is plugged into CPU fan 1 header. > connect the main 24v and 12v cables.   You need to have a MB system speaker installed, otherwise you won't know what is going on.

Switch on the PSU,  > with the tip of a small screwdriver, briefly touch the 2 pins for power on, located on the Front Panel Header, I think they are under the block (plug) that runs from the switches and LEDs.   If power up runs, you should hear some beeps, (no RAM detected) the PSU/CPU fans should still keep going until you switch off the PSU.

Please post results. 

Advertisements

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
No worries thanks for you help! I'll borrow a MB speaker from one of the old work computers and I'll try exactly what you said. I'll have to wait 2 days till I can get the MB speaker.. I'll post results then. Thank you!!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your welcome :thumbsup: 

Dell use generic boards from Intel, MSI etc. then use their own modified PSUs with odd plugouts, and cases where wiring is non standard, but they may not publish the plug pinouts.

Does this look like your MB? > http://www.ebay.com....1-/161662058915

Possible pinouts.

Attached Thumbnails

• FRONT PANEL, Dell..png
  • FRONT PANBEL  Standard..png

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Yes that's it exactly! Here are images of my computer currently. I will do the bare bones tomorrow. So i get two small screw drivers/paper clips and touch the two PWR-SW pins to start it?

Attached Thumbnails

• FullSizeRender.jpg
  • IMG_3831.JPG

Edited by Giibl3ts, 24 January 2016 - 05:50 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup: 

So i get two small screw drivers/paper clips and touch the two PWR-SW pins to start it?

Not quite, Use the tip of one screwdriver, the pins are so close together, it will bridge the gap and pass a pulse to start the computer.   One paperclip will be OK, providing it is small enough to only touch the 2 pins. 

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Oh that makes sense. Perfect ill will do this tomorrow and post the results. I have a working motherboard speaker but i cannot figure out where to plug it in... http://downloads.del...anual_en-us.pdf (Page 10-11) is the link to the diagram of the mother board... do i have to plug it into the F_USB?? or does it not support a speaker?? i'm quite confused.

Edited by Giibl3ts, 24 January 2016 - 07:13 PM.