Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Wont Start, Fans Spin Then Stop, then repeats. (Solved)

Computer Wont Start

• Please log in to reply

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

looks to me like the motherboard has a built in speaker, round black thing in second picture, just above connections 21(front sound connection) and 22 (1xpci-e slot) from your manual guide (pages 10 and 11).

so no you won't find the pins (usually 4 in a row with each end pin being the connections used +/- for speaker.) to plug another motherboard speaker in anywhere on that board.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 25 January 2016 - 12:03 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I have a working motherboard speaker but i cannot figure out where to plug it in

MB Manual, page #10, item #12, power button connector (F_PANEL) is the header we are interested in.  As I noted, the actual pin assignment is not easily available. when you pull the plug off, does it look like a 9 pin header FP1, as shown in reply #12?  

Thanks for the info Terry1966, bit of a bummer seeing I had Giibl3ts chasing one., and I missed his edit to post #15

Just found a post where the OP has traced the wiring from the case switches to the front panel header, so when you let us know how many pins it has, I can give you the correct pins to short out. 

Edited by iammykyl, 25 January 2016 - 03:04 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Giibl3ts 

​Not heard back from you yet.  If my replies have put you off going further, I apologize.   If you have solved the problem, please let us know. 

Thanks. 

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

You haven't put me off at all i am learning heaps and its great! Work has just gotten a bit hectic.. would be easier if my main computer was working!!! haha. Anyways thanks Terry1966 i guess ill just have to assume the built in motherboard speaker is working then and put the one i got from work back..I am pretty sure its 5 x 2 pins but i will tell you for sure tonight and then, when you have time, you let me know which pins to short. Thanks heaps iammykyl!

Edited by Giibl3ts, 27 January 2016 - 03:51 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You haven't put me off at all i am learning heaps and its great!

Great, good to know.

I am pretty sure its 5 x 2 pins 

I don't think so.   The header on the MB, (item #12, power button connector, F_PANEL, orientated as the image below,) is the standard Intel header, not altered by Dell.   Many people have moved the MB to a standard case and used the standard plugs, see video.

Dell appears to have wired the case front panel plug, non standard, I think something to do with Reset Function as the case only has 1 button, the power one.

If it was pins 2 and 5, you would not be able to short them out with a screwdriver as they are offset, and on opposite rows.

Please see next post. 

Intel front panel pin out.png

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Ok, so i have looked at the computer and it could be one of two. F_USB1 (Horizontal 5x2) goes to the section where the power button is but i think its for the two usb ports there. the other one F_Panel (Vertical 6x2) is most likely the one that is the power button and LED. What are your thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• FullSizeRender.jpg

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Judging by your images would you say i need to touch the two pins above the missing pin on the F_Panel? The pins i put a dodge yellow circle on.

Attached Thumbnails

• FullSizeRender.jpg

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Just realized when i was saying 5x2 and 6x2 i wasn't talking about those specific 2 pins i was saying that's how many pins are there 5x2 = 10 pin and 6x2 = 12 pin layout. i couldn't follow the exact wires from each pin to see exactly which two pins are attached to the power button but i could try to remove it from the case to get a better look if that's what is needed. just let me know

Edited by Giibl3ts, 27 January 2016 - 10:19 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Well, the vertical on the right, 6x2 (11 pins) does look correct, but the manual show 5x2 (9 pins).

The writing by the blue cable, looks like it actually gives the pin out, Please take another pic after moving the cable out of the way. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Case header..jpg

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Your right! thats perfect haha. here is a better image of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• FullSizeRender.jpg

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Great.

With only the CPU/heatsink installed on the MB, CPU fan connected to CPU fan header.

24/12 volt main cables connected. > switch on the PSU, > short out pins 6 and 8 on the vertical header.

Fingers crossed, it starts and continues to run, if so,

Switch of the PSU and post back.  

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Thank you so much! im still at work... i will do this in about 2 - 3 hrs! and post back. Really appreciate the advice and help!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK, that will be 6/7 PM here, so will be about. 

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok so this is my setup and I touched pins 6 and 8 and the exact same thing happens... Fan spins for one second... Stops and spins again for a second.. Stops ect... Nooooooo!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Edited by Giibl3ts, 28 January 2016 - 01:19 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Not what we wanted, ay.

Board has been tested with a good PSU, so I think we can rule that out.

You cleaned and reapplied TIM, so, look at the back of the MB, if all four white locking pins are fully locked in place, (all tabs the same length with a black centre pin showing) overheating not likely.

Sadly, it does look like a faulty MB, probable a broken trace somewhere given th pushing down on the RAM, sometimes allowed a Boot.

Apart from using proper workshop testing tools for the MB, I can't think of any more you or I could do to troubleshoot more.

OK, a bit of a reach this one, just in case some sort of CMOS or BIOS loop is happening.

With the PSU switched off, unplug from the wall socket or power strip.

Remove the CMOS battery, > short out pins 6 and 8, holding the screwdriver in place for 10 seconds, > replace the CMOS battery, > reattach the PSU, switch on and short out pins 6 and 8.