Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't get my DVD drive to recognize my W7 disc?

• Please log in to reply

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Hi people. I'm having a pretty weird issue with my DVD drive on my Asus G74Sx. I want to to re-install my W7.

1. I insert my Windows disc
2. Restart my PC
3. The choice to boot from CD never comes up
4. Instead Windows starts launching
5. I have checked my BIOS, the boot from DVD drive is where it's supposed to be
6. I don't know what to do next

The DVD drive works otherwise, I use discs, both CD's and DVD's on a fairly regular basis. 

The Windows disc works on other computers just fine. So... I think I'm crazy, and I need your help.

Advertisements

Nyser

Nyser

Geek in Training

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Hi BearCavalry,

It sounds like you are waiting for the computer to ask if you would like to boot from CD/DVD, have you tried booting from your CD/DVD drive manually by pressing ESC while booting then choosing your CD/DVD drive which should be labeled something similar to CD/DVD.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts

There's nothing wrong in installing Win 7 using a Microsoft Windows 7 installation disc... however you will need to install all your drivers afresh, so make sure you have everything you need all fully backed up to removable media and with several copies.

Most Asus G74SX shipped with a recovery partition designed to reinstall your operating system and usually a good set of drivers with the minimum of fuss.

This will not work if  someone has removed the Recovery Partition ( not a good idea as a rule) but if it is still intact, and is able to recover your machine to its "factory state with Win 7 then this may be worth your consideration. ( its a fairly quick procedure)

Whether you install using a Microsoft Win 7 installation disc or use the Recovery partition (via F9 at bootup) you will need to install several hundred Windows updates and depending on the speed of your Internet connection this could amount to two days  or so of full time work

Don't even think of going online with a fresh installation until you have a good anti virus product installed and your firewall operating... and then it's impostant to install all the updates... before any surfing or opening of emails...

If your Asus is fitted with 2 hard drives (some are some aren't) its possible that virus or malicious code could be present on the second hard drive..... so you just need to be aware of this.

Post back if you have any questions or need any clarifications or amplifications

Regards

paws

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

There's nothing wrong in installing Win 7 using a Microsoft Windows 7 installation disc... however you will need to install all your drivers afresh, so make sure you have everything you need all fully backed up to removable media and with several copies.

Most Asus G74SX shipped with a recovery partition designed to reinstall your operating system and usually a good set of drivers with the minimum of fuss.

This will not work if  someone has removed the Recovery Partition ( not a good idea as a rule) but if it is still intact, and is able to recover your machine to its "factory state with Win 7 then this may be worth your consideration. ( its a fairly quick procedure)

Whether you install using a Microsoft Win 7 installation disc or use the Recovery partition (via F9 at bootup) you will need to install several hundred Windows updates and depending on the speed of your Internet connection this could amount to two days  or so of full time work

Don't even think of going online with a fresh installation until you have a good anti virus product installed and your firewall operating... and then it's impostant to install all the updates... before any surfing or opening of emails...

If your Asus is fitted with 2 hard drives (some are some aren't) its possible that virus or malicious code could be present on the second hard drive..... so you just need to be aware of this.

Post back if you have any questions or need any clarifications or amplifications

Regards

paws

Well my problem is not installing drivers. I know how to do that, this is not my first rodeo. I just can't get the boot from disc option.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts

Ok, Understood,

Please list the boot priority order as shown in the BIOS and post the list here'

Regards

paws

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Hi BearCavalry,

It sounds like you are waiting for the computer to ask if you would like to boot from CD/DVD, have you tried booting from your CD/DVD drive manually by pressing ESC while booting then choosing your CD/DVD drive which should be labeled something similar to CD/DVD.

I never even thought of doing this, but I did, and it brought up the choices, I choose the DVD drive, and it goes on to load windows. So....no dice.
Is my DVD drive corrupt...broken...smoked?

Ok, Understood,
Please list the boot priority order as shown in the BIOS and post the list here'
Regards
paws

I took some photos.

VHYA9FJ.jpg

9l4xU6Y.jpg

Edited by BearCavalry, 21 January 2016 - 11:25 PM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts

OK, some further thoughts for you.

Your SSD seems to be priority 2 and your DVD priority 1.... which is what you want, however I'd be inclined to:

1 alter The boot priority, save the changes exit and restart and then:

2 alter the boot priority back to DVD and then USB and Then SSD

3 save the changes, exit and restart.

see if this does the trick

if this does not work then try an External USB CD/DVD drive and altering the boot priority accordingly, see if you can boot into your WIn 7 disc using that.

Next step ( if the above is unsuccessful) is to remove the SSD replace with a standard SATA "spinner" and see if you can install Win 7 on it... if you can then you can clone it and replacing the SSD drive, reimage the SSD using the clone.

Let us know how you get on

regards

paws

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
Thank you PAWS. I do not have an extra HD to install into my notebook, but I tried your other suggestions. It didn't work. I think the problem is with my DVD drive.

Nyser

Nyser

Geek in Training

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I did some research and found some people with the same issue, unfortunately I couldn't find any useful information in regards to a fix. Perhaps try using a bootable USB and see if that works.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

at a guess i'd say the problem is with uefi and secure boot, don't think win 7 is secure boot compatible so that is why it won't boot, you need to go into your bios and make sure secure boot is disabled if the option is there and maybe/also set the uefi boot to legacy or disable depending on options shown.

:popcorn:

just saw uefi looks like it's disabled in your 2nd bios pic, so secure boot might not be the problem, but just to make sure can you post pics of the advanced and security pages/options so we can check the settings.

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

I apologize that some of the photos are smudged, I suck at taking photos on my phone

XG0DODz.jpg

mH3aLbd.jpg

LyrtlSs.jpg

F76VqXt.jpg

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

can't see anything there that would stop it booting from the dvd, so guess the problem is just that your dvd drive can't read the disk even though it works in other drives/pc's.

:popcorn: