Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lenovo IdeaPad 500 vs HP Pavilion 17t laptops

• Please log in to reply

whovian1010

whovian1010

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I purchased a computer that I had to end up taking back due to hardware problems.  They no longer carried that computer so now I'm looking for a new one.  I have narrowed down my choices to these two computers. I will be using this for pictures, surfing, netflix, hulu, Rosetta Stone, Office, Sims and other computer games and may try out some online gaming. They are the same price and I'm having difficulty deciding which one would be better. They both have an I7 Processor but the Lenovo has 16gb RAM and the HP has 12GB. The Lenovo has a 1TB 5400RPM Hybrid drive + 8GB SSHD, LED backlit FHD Display and 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 840m Graphics. The HP has a 1TB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive, WLED FHD IPA Display and 2GB NVIDIA GeForce 940m Graphics. From what I can tell from google, because I really don't know computers other than they piss me off regularly, the Lenovo has a better hard drive than the HP but the HP has a better graphics card and I have no idea what either of the displays descriptions mean. The HP does say that it has a backlit keyboard which is nice but not necessary while the Lenovo doesn't state that it has a backlit keyboard. The HPs battery also states it last 2hr 15 min longer than the Lenovos. I really need help. The only reviews I could find were on the Costco website for the HP with one person giving it a 5 star the other a 1 star. These are both 17" laptops on the Costco website if this is not enough info but I could really use help with this. At this point I'm about ready to do a coin toss to figure this out. I would really like to get it ordered within the next couple of days. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts

Hi,

I purchased a computer that I had to end up taking back due to hardware problems.  They no longer carried that computer so now I'm looking for a new one.  I have narrowed down my choices to these two computers. I will be using this for pictures, surfing, netflix, hulu, Rosetta Stone, Office, Sims and other computer games and may try out some online gaming....

It all depends on where you will use the computer more often. If the other computer games are graphics demanding the better graphics card could be important but the performance of both cards should not be very different based on the 3DMark GPU Score, 840M:2420 940M:2380

The Lenovo machine with more memory and a faster HDD will perform better for sure on day to day tasks.

One of the biggest bottleneck I found in many machines is the HDD, the 5400rpm speed is very slow specially on big drives (> 500GB) the Hybrid drive performs much better, I know because I have one of those.