Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First gaming PC (Resolved).

Hardware

Best Answer ReactiveAdam , 04 May 2016 - 07:46 AM

got the parts in and in my PC. The work great and had no problems with it. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

ReactiveAdam

ReactiveAdam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Thanks for all the response, now that i know everything i need to start i will begin in the upcoming weeks. Thanks   

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are welcome. :thumbsup: 

Now you know the hardware you are going to use, download any available manuals so you can familiarize yourself with the parts.

If you are not sure of build steps when you start, just post back and we will help. 

Good luck. 

ReactiveAdam

ReactiveAdam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Ok i am actual buying my pc finally but i had to scrap my build and go with a pre-made one. it good but i would like to upgrade my graphic card when i receive it, but i don't know what cards i can get or use or if i would have enough power for it. secondly i don't know what to look for to upgrade the power supply.  Thanks 

Hear is the  link to the Pc i am buying.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883230030

Processor :AMD FX-4300 3.8 GHz

Processor Main Features : 64 bit Quad-Core Processor

Cache Per Processor :4 MB L3 Cache

Memory :4 GB DDR3

Storage :1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM

Optical Drive :24x DVD+-R/+-RW DUAL LAYER DRIVE

Graphics :NVIDIA Geforce GT 720 1 GB

Ethernet :Gigabit Ethernet

Power :Supply 350W

Case :Corsair SPEC 01 Gaming Case

Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

If you have not ordered yet?   Consider directly ordering feom Cyberpower, pick a basic build, then configure it.   You are going to have to ditch the 350w and buy another, about the $50/70 mark, you can upgrade the CPU for #30 = 500w.   

You are also ditching the video card, you want a better GPU, just upgrade to whatever your budget will allow.

Have  look at this one, > https://www.cyberpow...re_Configurator

ReactiveAdam

ReactiveAdam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

thanks to u all for all the help. i have built and started using my new pc, ABS Dreadnought ALA001 Desktop, it works grate and i love it. the only issues i have is that it has a side fan and i cannot find where to plug it into, it has a 3 pin and large plug in with four slots. so if anyone knows how to plug it in that would be great.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

It is best to use the 3 pin small plug, connected to a header on the MB, which will give some fan speed control.   If you use the larger 4 pin plug, the fan will run at max speed all the time, no speed control at all.

I can't find details of the MB installed, so you will have to look for a spare header on the MB.

Trace the wire from the back exhaust fan, it may go to a 4 pin header or a 3 pin.   It will be marked with, CHA1, or Sys1.   The front intake fan will go to another header.   Inspect the board and look for a third CHA or Sys header and connect the side fan.   Do not connect to one marked CPU or PSU.

If you do not have a spare header, buy a splitter, remove the back exhaust fan plug from the header, plug in the splitter, then connect the rear fan and side fans to the 2 sockets on the splitter.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812162026.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Been a while since we heard from you.   Did you work out where to connect the fan headers?   An update would be appreciate.

Thanks. 

ReactiveAdam

ReactiveAdam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

yes i got it working, but now im in the process of learning how to upgrade. Right now i am trying to find out how to tell if a graphic card and a power supply are compatible with my motherboard.

Edited by ReactiveAdam, 09 March 2016 - 11:14 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

Compatibility must also cover your PSU being compatible with your video card, below explains what you need to ensure;

MB and PSU = The PSU must have the appropriate 20 or 24 pin ATX main power connection + 4 or 8 pin 12V ATX power supply for the processor.

MB and Video card = The video card where possible should be the same PCI-E revision as the MB or be backwards compatible with the slot/s that the MB has, example, PCI-E 3.0 will work in a PCI-E 2.0 slot but may not in a PCI-E 1.0 or 1.1 slot.

PSU and add on video card = The PSU must be able to provide the minimum power requirement that the video card requires and have any supplemental power dongles that the video card may require, example/s, some cards require a single 6 pin PCI-E PSU connection, some cards two Xs 6 pin PCI-E, some 1 X 8 pin, some 1 Xs 6 pin + 1 X 8 pin.

If in doubt, post your potential parts here and one of us will help, please note that for stability any PSU should have a minimum of a bronze output efficiency rating.

ReactiveAdam

ReactiveAdam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Ok i have been over working my self trying to find a PSU and GBU that can work with my Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 Motherboard. Can anyone show me a PSU and GPU that will upgrade me to current gaming level without braking the bank. Secondly can you explain how they are compatible. The current power supply is a Cougar SL400 400w ATX12V and the graphic card is a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 750 Ti DirectX 11 ZT-70605-10M 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Plug-in Card Video Card. and if someone could explain how to hook up power to the graphic card because the one i have dose not need a plug but i want to upgrade to a stronger one and but most of them need a plug.

Edited by ReactiveAdam, 14 March 2016 - 10:24 AM.

Advertisements

ReactiveAdam

ReactiveAdam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

secondly the graphic cards i have been looking at are PCI Express 3.0 x16 and PCI Express 3.0. So whold one of thes work with my motherboard that has a Express 2.0 x16. 

Edited by ReactiveAdam, 14 March 2016 - 10:34 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Any of these PSUs are very good, compatible with your MB  and will support one very high end GPU > http://www.newegg.co...182-329:$$$$$$$

My preferences.

1. SeaSonic  SSR-550RM  Modular cables.

2. CORSAIR CS550M  Modular cables.

3. Rosewill Valens-500M Modular cables.

4. FSP Group AURUM S 500W  NOT Modular 

secondly the graphic cards i have been looking at are PCI Express 3.0 x16 and PCI Express 3.0. So whold one of thes work with my motherboard that has a Express 2.0 x16. 

Yes.   PCI-E 3.0 x16 is backwards compatible, so will work on your MB. 

To see a significant performance gain over your present card, I recommend a GTX 960 or 970, depending on your budget.

http://www.newegg.co...127-832:$$$$$$$

ReactiveAdam

ReactiveAdam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Thank you this will make it so much easier to upgrade in the coming months. I was thinking when it come to the PSU do most of them work with all computers in the terms of hooking up to the motherboard, hard drive, disc drive, and the graphic card may make you look for a different power supply that has the needed wire. Secondly after looking at the PSU i was wondering where do you plug the AGO3 end of the PCI-E wires into, and when the GPU says it needs a  6 pin / 8 pin connector dose that mean i need one or the other or do i need both?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817151119                          http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127832

The PSU i am looking at is the SeaSonic G series and the GPU im looking at is the MSI GeForce GTX 970 but im still wondering if the PSU will work with the motherboard, disk drive and hard drive because i was looking at the wires that came with it and half of them i have not seen before other then the PCI-E and the AC power cord. 

Edited by ReactiveAdam, 15 March 2016 - 09:06 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are welcome :thumbsup: 

I was thinking when it come to the PSU do most of them work with all computers in the terms of hooking up to the motherboard, hard drive, disc drive, and the graphic card may make you look for a different power supply that has the needed wire. 

Providing you match the form factor of the existing one in the computer, the correct cables will be present.   The exception is with PSUs supplied with some, but not all, computers from the likes of Dell/HP etc.   They can be manufactured for them to match their build requirements.

Secondly after looking at the PSU i was wondering where do you plug the AGO3 end of the PCI-E wires into, and when the GPU says it needs a  6 pin / 8 pin connector dose that mean i need one or the other or do i need both?

Please link to where you saw AGO3 as I can't ind that.

For the MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G you need both PCI-E connectors, 1 x 6 pin and 1 x 8 pin. 

The PSU i am looking at is the SeaSonic G series and the GPU im looking at is the MSI GeForce GTX 970 but im still wondering if the PSU will work with the motherboard, disk drive and hard drive because i was looking at the wires that came with it and half of them i have not seen before other then the PCI-E and the AC power cord. 

Your computer and MB are all standard so the PSU is completely compatible and will work.   The PSU cables are all standard, some may look different because they have plugs at both ends.

You will not use the Floppy cables as a Floppy Drive is not in your computer. 

FYI, > http://www.newegg.co...x?articleId=199

ReactiveAdam

ReactiveAdam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Thanks, with the AGO3 wire it was the back end of the PCIe wire that you would plug into the power supply.