Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a new SSD as master and keep old HHD with data

Install SSD Windows 7 Windows 7 on SSD Not recognizing hard drives

• Please log in to reply

vbagwell1967

vbagwell1967

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi.  My brother is pulling his hair out and needs some serious help.

He bought a new SSD and wants to install as master.  He wants to make is old HDD (containing data) a slave. His goal is to leisurely transfer files from the HDD slave to the SSD.  The HDD has Windows XP operating system, Windows 7 on the new SSD.  The BIOS is mislabeling the old drive and his options are greyed out so he is unable to change them.  We have been all over the internet looking for solutions, but it seems that most are installing blank masters and slaves.  We have also looked at disk management in Windows, again, the selections he needs to select are also greyed out. 

If this is not enough information let me know what I need to help you answer this thread.  I would give you some now, but it seems that he has totally messed up his computer and it is not booting properly.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi :welcome:

The HDD is Sata?

If you disconnect the old HDD and leave only the SSD connected does it boot properly?