Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm sure i've lost some GBs...

• Please log in to reply

BlueVestGuy

BlueVestGuy

• Pip
  • 3 posts

And it's not the first time that happens.

I mean, I do have a few games that update every now and then - and there's also window's and the antivirus' updates.

But I can't really believe it could take that much space.

It could also just be me that forgot that i've installed something recently too, but... Well, I really don't remember installing something recently, yet I feel like my driver has less space than it used to have. Besides, i'm uninstalling stuffs every now and then, so if anything it shouldn't really decrease.

I've read that running "chkdsk /f " could fix some errors and make you gain space or something so I did it on both of my drivers, however I didn't get any...

Is there anything else I could do to see if I did, in fact, lose GB without doing anything? Or is my memory the only issue?

Sorry if I posted this on the wrong boards or if i'm not very clear...

Advertisements

Gman147

Gman147

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

You may have a lot of Shadow Copies. I had the same problem, where my HDD just seems to be filling up with shadow copies and I had no clue why. Try following this guide to see if that helps at all.

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Hi BlueVestGuy,

You can also try the below steps.

• Use WinDirStat which will tell you what is taking up the most space.
  • Follow the instructions located here to run Disk Cleanup.
  • Delete all but recent restore points. NOTE: Prior to following this step make sure you computer is running fine as this will remove all but one restore point.
    • Click Start and in the search box type in Disk Cleanup.
    • Right click Disk Cleanup located under programs category and click Run as Administrator.
    • You will be prompted with a Drive Selection screen, Select Drive (C:) and Click Ok.
    • Allow Disk Cleanup to finish its scan.
    • When prompted with a new screen click the More Options tab located up the top.
    • Under System Restore and Shadow Copies click Clean up.
    • Click Delete.
    • Click OK located down the bottom then click Delete Files on the next window.

BlueVestGuy

BlueVestGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

You may have a lot of Shadow Copies. I had the same problem, where my HDD just seems to be filling up with shadow copies and I had no clue why. Try following this guide to see if that helps at all.

Followed the guide, turns out shadow copies were disabled on the driver. That's a good thing to know though, i'll keep the link in case I need it later.

Hi BlueVestGuy,

You can also try the below steps.

• Use WinDirStat which will tell you what is taking up the most space.
  • Follow the instructions located here to run Disk Cleanup.
  • Delete all but recent restore points. NOTE: Prior to following this step make sure you computer is running fine as this will remove all but one restore point.
    • Click Start and in the search box type in Disk Cleanup.
    • Right click Disk Cleanup located under programs category and click Run as Administrator.
    • You will be prompted with a Drive Selection screen, Select Drive (C:) and Click Ok.
    • Allow Disk Cleanup to finish its scan.
    • When prompted with a new screen click the More Options tab located up the top.
    • Under System Restore and Shadow Copies click Clean up.
    • Click Delete.
    • Click OK located down the bottom then click Delete Files on the next window.

Does WinDirStat only shows what files are taking the most space? I do believe I know most of them, so i'm not sure that could help me.

What exactly does the disk cleanup removes? Does it erases websites' saves ?

How recent is the oldest restore point kept? Like, does it deletes every save point older than a month? 2 months? Etc. I think my computer is all right, but just in case... I'd rather just delete the older ones that i'm sure I'd never resort to restoring to.

Thanks for the help!

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Does WinDirStat only shows what files are taking the most space? I do believe I know most of them, so i'm not sure that could help me.

That is correct WinDirStat shows you what is taking up the most space and makes it easy to follow, I don't know how much space your taking about since you haven't said but if it is a couple gb I would probably say it is from game updates, depending on the game/s it can easily be over 1gb per update.

What exactly does the disk cleanup removes? Does it erases websites' saves ?

When you open Disk Cleanup up the top it will say how much space it can clean up. In regards to what it deletes that depends on what boxes have been ticked, if you click the name for example Downloaded Program files then look in the description it will tell you what it deletes.

How recent is the oldest restore point kept? Like, does it deletes every save point older than a month? 2 months? Etc. I think my computer is all right, but just in case... I'd rather just delete the older ones that i'm sure I'd never resort to restoring to.

All restore points will be deleted except the newest one to see how many restores points you have:

• Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time to bring up Run.
  • Type in rstrui.exe and press Enter.
  • Click Next.
  • Click Show more restore points.

If you have more then one restore point shown in the box all of them except the newest one will be deleted.

Since you haven't given much information I went through them steps just in case but I believe it would be from Game updates and Windows update.

BlueVestGuy

BlueVestGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Alright, I checked how many restore points I had. I suppose that my computer deletes the older ones automatically, since "Show more restore points" 's oldest one is from the january 23rd.

I tried to run a disk cleanup - selecting disk F: , because that's the disk I was talking about - and the only option availible was the trash bin. Well, there was the restore points and shadow copies too, but I have no shadow copies (after following Gman's guide, that's what I found) and not many restore points so I didn't do it. There was also another one that suggested deleting programs I didn't use, however since I don't know what those said programs are, I'm not doing it either.

You are right, Nyser, I do have a few games updating moreso regularly. After all, the "loss" is most likely comming from there - concidering I couldn't find anything wrong/at all following the instructions you all gave me, a big number of updates probably took more space than what I expected and I must have thought some of it had dissapeared.

Sorry for the late answer, I kind of forgot about this...

Thanks for the help!