Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any advice on mdb file?

• Please log in to reply

Lavanda85

Lavanda85

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I can’t open my access file. Every time I tried, I got notification that the file is corrupted. What can I do in this situation?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

If you right click on the file and click on Properties then on the Previous versions tab you might get lucky and find that an earlier version of the file is available.

You can try this tool:

https://support.micr...en-us/kb/295334

Sometimes it helps tho you might want to have it work on a copy of the database file rather than the original.

Then there are commercial mdb repair tools like:

http://www.repair-access-file.com/

I think the free download will tell you if the file can be recovered but won't actually do it.

lucyshaw314

lucyshaw314

• Pip
  • 1 posts

The following steps outline a general method that you can use to try to repair a damaged database:

1. Make a copy of the damaged database (.mdb) file so that you have a backup.
  2. Delete the .ldb file if it is present. You must close the corresponding .mdb file before you delete the .ldb file.

The .ldb file is used to determine which records are locked in a shared database and by whom. If a database is opened for shared use, the .ldb file is created with the same name as the corresponding database (.mdb). For example, if you open the Northwind.mdb sample database for shared use in the C:\Msoffice\Access folder, a file named Northwind.ldb is automatically created in the same folder. The .ldb file is automatically deleted after the last user has exited the database with these two exceptions -- when the last user does not have delete permissions to the folder containing the .mdb file or when the database is corrupted. The .ldb file contains a list of users who have the database open.
  3. Run the Compact and Repair utility. To do so, follow these steps:
    1. If the database is open, close it.
    2. On the Tools menu, point to Database Utilities, and then click Compact and Repair Database.
    3. In the Database to Compact From dialog box, select the file that you want to compact, and then click Compact.
    4. In the Compact Database Into dialog box, enter a new file name, and then click Save.

RonWesley

RonWesley

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

MDB Viewer Plus is a free viewer application for your PC. With the help of this freeware you'll simply open MS Access (.MDB) database files. Installation isn't required for this freeware. To run this freeware you need MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) on your PC.

Nevin Fradian

Nevin Fradian

• Pip
  • 1 posts

You can try Kernel for Access recovery software to extract data from corrupt or inaccessible .mdb file of MS Access database. The software is designed with an advanced and secure algorithm to deal with all corruption issues related to MS Access. To get more information about the software, visit: http://www.repairacc...mdbrecovery.net