Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Secure Erase for Samsung M.2 SSD (Solved)

M.2 SSD Secure Erase Samsung Magician

Best Answer PC Genie , 23 November 2016 - 09:59 AM

Thank you guys for your replies.  I seems that I have a lot of study ahead of me.  I'll also look for some YouTube video tutorials that cover the subject. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

PC Genie

PC Genie

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

I have a Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 that I've been trying to do a secure erase with Samsung's utility "Samsung Magician", but I keep getting an error that the SSD is frozen and I have to disconnect the power for a few seconds to reset it before using the utility again.  The problem is that the M.2 SSD is inserted directly into the motherboard on the back side.  I cannot reach it without removing the motherboard.  These reset instructions also state that I shouldn't turn off the power while I remove the M.2 card.  It's impossible.

I done a secure erase with the Samsung Magician on a Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1 Tb hard drive that is not an M.2, because it is a regular SSD that connects with the interior computer wires and I can disconnect the power cable like any other hard drive.  The M.2 SSD is not like that.

How can I do a secure erase on this M.2 card?

Thanks,

PC Genie

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Found this:

In the secure erase tab, there should be an option to create a bootable cd/dvd or usb.

Upon burning the disc or making the bootable USB with that program, shut down the computer.

Power on your machine and ensure to boot from the Bootable media by entering your BIOS or accessing your boot sequence. You should enter Samsung SSD Secure Erase Utility, will display a warning message. Type ‘Y’ to accept and continue forward. At that point the application will scan for your SSD and allow you to choose it once scanning is complete. If you receive a message saying that your drive is in a “frozen state”, you will have to perform a Power Cycle (which is disconnecting the SSD from both data and power ports, waiting 3 – 5 seconds, and reconnecting the drive to the ports again). After the Power Cycle has been completed, the program will allow you to continue. Press ‘Y’ to start Secure Erase. If you are placed into a black DOS screen Samsung SECERASE with a blinking cursor, you need to enter the syntax command ‘SEGUI0’ (that is a zero). 

If that command yields a distorted screen try segui0 /s (type a space then /s). Once the command is executed, you will be brought back to the FreeDOS Utility to continue onward. Continue with the prompts by pressing the ‘Y’ key until Secure Erase is finished. 

Once the operation is complete, hit the ‘Esc’ key to exit the DOS environment and power down your system.

http://www.tomshardw...ate-repair.html

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

If this not your Intel NUC, please give details of the computer. 

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

First to reply to RKinner:  I forgot to include that detail in my first post.  I did create a CD for the "Samsung Magician" utility and used it in the new computer.  The results are in my first post.

Reply to iammykyl:  I gave up on the idea of building a NUC i7 and decided on building a mini-ITX computer.  I had it successfully using Windows 8.1, but I decided to use as a NAS.  When installing the FreeNAS software, it did not delete the existing Windows installation and I've ever since have been trying to erase it from the M.2 SSD.

These are the components that I have used in my newly built Mini-ITX computer.

Motherboard:
ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming Mini-ITX

Hard Drives:
Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 (MZ-NE500BW)
Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1 Tb (MZ-7KE1T0BW)

RAM:
Patriot Viper PC4-27200 3400MHz
16Gb (2x8) DDR4

CPU:
Core i7-6700K LGA1151

Power Supply:
Thermaltake TR2 430W

Case:
Thermaltake Core VI (Mini ITX Case)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

The problem is that the M.2 SSD is inserted directly into the motherboard on the back side.  I cannot reach it without removing the motherboard.

According to your MB manual, the M.2SSD socket is on the same side as the PCI.E slot, (front), just to the side of the SATA ports.

Even if you have to remove the GPU, you should be able to remove the SSD, (magnetic tipped screwdriver).

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

iammykyl,

I first purchased a motherboard from Amizon.com; however, I couldn't get it to work and I took it to computer repair who reported that one of the memory slots didn't work.  So I returned it to Amizon.com.  I found a local computer store (47 miles away), where I could walk in and purchase it.  While I was there, I thought to purchase the M.2 card and I told the sales person that the MB manual said to install it on the top side of the MB.  He took the new M.2 card out of its package and looked for the slot to insert it, but then he turned over the MB and found the slot.  He placed the M.2 card into the slot on the backside of the MB and showed me how to insert the M.2 card into it.  I have physically seen where the card is to be placed and I placed it there.  The MB manual does not properly show how to insert it, nor does it explain correctly where to put it.  I had to learn where to install it by talking to the computer sales person at the store where I purchased it.

This is why it is so difficult to do a secure erase on the M.2 card that is physically located on the back side of the MB that is located just above the power supply.  The secure erase process requires me to disconnect the power from the card only and not turn off the power to the computer.  This is not an easy problem to solve. 

Thanks for the update.

The problem is that the M.2 SSD is inserted directly into the motherboard on the back side.  I cannot reach it without removing the motherboard.

According to your MB manual, the M.2SSD socket is on the same side as the PCI.E slot, (front), just to the side of the SATA ports.

Even if you have to remove the GPU, you should be able to remove the SSD, (magnetic tipped screwdriver).

Edited by PC Genie, 26 January 2016 - 11:58 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Got it.   Not very clear from the manual, just seen a couple of pics showing it's placement.   Would it be possible to slide out the PSU to get at it. 

Possible solutions to consider that others found worked for same problem.

Providing you are not booting from the SSD.   Disable it in the UEFI then try Secure Erase.

Download and use an older version of Magician. 4.2/4.4

Use CMD/Diskpart/clean from the Windows installation media, on the drive, but do not format it. 

Edited by iammykyl, 26 January 2016 - 07:37 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Been a while since we heard from you.   Do you still need some help?   If you managed the Secure Erase, can you tell us how it was done, mey help others.   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

the problem iammykyl is the "freeze lock" of the m2 drive and the only way to remove that is to power cycle it by remove it and install it again with power going to the motherboard from my understanding, without clearing the lock then it is impossible to secure erase the drive, so whatever he would have needed to pull the motherboard to gain access to the drive.

:popcorn:

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Well, I removed the power supply to access the M.2 card; but the card was not accessable.  So I re-installed the power supply and then removed the motherboard.  I flipped over the motherboard, turned on the power and went through the secure erase proceedure by pulling the M.2 card out and then re-installing it.  This did not make any difference with the M.2 card and I kept getting the same error about the SSD being frozen.  I did however discover that the motherboard's bios has a secure erase feature built into it, so I tried that and it worked. 

I tried to install FreeNAS, but I kept getting errors.  After getting exhausted after several attempts at installing FreeNAS, I just installed Windows 8.1 and I've been using Emby and Plex.  However, Windows always has something to update and these media servers are always getting disrupted.  I would actually prefer to use FreeNAS with it's plugins.  It seems that FreeNAS is a Linux codes program and may not get virus or have constant miscellaneous program updates.  Do I install Windows first then install FreeNAS or do I install FreeNAS onto an empty harddrive?

I don't understand why I keep getting errors when I install FreeNAS.  I've seen instructional videos on YouTube for the installation and I have repeatedly followed their instructions, but there is always an installation error.  Maybe there's something missing in the installation instructions.  What do you think the problem is?  This is new computer with all new components.

Edited by PC Genie, 06 February 2016 - 04:55 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

Sorry for my lack of replies.   I did come across info that the SSD was BIOS locked and not by Magician.   Great you got it sorted.

No advicable to use the SSD for Freenas as when you install it, even though is is only very small, it will use/reserve the whole of any drive.  Once Booted, it runs from RAM (saves files to storage) and only writes to the Boot drive to sve altered configurations and updates.

ASAIK, you cannot partition the drive, so no Dual Booting.   Not advisable, for a beginner, to use a SSD for Cache, can cause problems and hard to implement.  

Some people use the SSD for storage, but I think that waistful, better to use spinners, possible in a RAID 10.

You can use a Flash drive or 2 Mirrored.

A very small SSD, or 2 Mirrored.

Best option would be SSD for Windows, small SSD for FreeNas, Dual Boot.

You would need to seek help if you want to share the NAS drives

NB, I am not sure if the BIOS Secure Erase writes 0.00 to the cells, if yes, the drive is in a degraded state.

Samsung Magician writes 0.ff to each cell, drive is in the same state as when leaving the factory. 

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

I have a PC Express card for extra USB ports that includes one that is internal. Maybe I should install FreeNAS onto an 8 Gb flash drive and leave it in the internal port to boot from the USB to use the FreeNAS system? Then I can leave Windows on the M.2 card? I don't know how to duel boot between FreeNAS and Windows. How do I do that? Is an 8 Gb flash drive big enough for FreeNAS?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

4GB min, 8GB OK, but most recommend 16GB as updates and Boot environments can be 1GB.  You will need an addition bootable flash drive to create the installer, both drives in USB sockets, restart computer, boot from the installer USB stick.

I would also use the F?? key to bring up the boot manager at Start and select which OS you want,  If you set up the OS you use the most in the UEFI  boot priority, then not using the F?? key would boot into the default OS. 

A good quality flash drive is a must, or it will not last long, only USB 2.0 as 3.0 is not supported. 

Always use the official guide for the Release you are installing, > http://www.freenas.o...as-release.html

Manual, > http://doc.freenas.o....3/freenas.html

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I found an article about "Running FreeNAS on a USB stick" that describes installing it directly onto the USB flash drive using a utility called "physdiskwrite"; however, it installs an image file "IMG" instead of "ISO".  This does not create a FreeNAS boot flash drive, it actually installs the FreeNAS OS directly onto the flash drive.  This seems to be a more reliable way to do the installation.

Would you happen to know of a program that can do this with an "ISO" image file?
https://personalcomp...on-a-usb-stick/

Gday.

4GB min, 8GB OK, but most recommend 16GB as updates and Boot environments can be 1GB.  You will need an addition bootable flash drive to create the installer, both drives in USB sockets, restart computer, boot from the installer USB stick.

I would also use the F?? key to bring up the boot manager at Start and select which OS you want,  If you set up the OS you use the most in the UEFI  boot priority, then not using the F?? key would boot into the default OS. 

A good quality flash drive is a must, or it will not last long, only USB 2.0 as 3.0 is not supported. 

Always use the official guide for the Release you are installing, > http://www.freenas.o...as-release.html

Manual, > http://doc.freenas.o....3/freenas.html

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

physdiskwrite is a command line application, > https://linhost.info...-physdiskwrite/ I think would be easy to make mistakes, up to you, but I prefer a GUI.

Older ver, FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64.img.xz > http://download.free....5/RELEASE/x64/

Latest ver. 9.3 only available as ISO, > http://www.freenas.o...as-release.html

Would you happen to know of a program that can do this with an "ISO" image file?

I think you just choose a HDD as destination rather than USB, remembering the whole drive is used.