Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Secure Erase for Samsung M.2 SSD (Solved)

M.2 SSD Secure Erase Samsung Magician

Best Answer PC Genie , 23 November 2016 - 09:59 AM

Thank you guys for your replies.  I seems that I have a lot of study ahead of me.  I'll also look for some YouTube video tutorials that cover the subject. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

rufus will create a bootable usb stick from either an iso or img file.

rufus :- https://rufus.akeo.ie/

:popcorn:

Advertisements

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
On my full size desktop computer, I removed all the SSD and HDDs to install FreeNAS onto a USB drive from a CD with the FreeNAS installation.  I used the CD to install FreeNAS onto the USB drive and it seemed that it was successful.  However, when I configured my ITX computer to boot from the USB drive the program started with the installation menu asking where to install FreeNAS.  I thought I installed FreeNAS OS onto the USB drive; so why doesn't the FreeNAS OS startup instead of asking where to install it?

Also I tried using the physdiskwrite program to install ​FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64.img onto the USB drive.  I did use an extractor to get the "img" file from FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64.img.xz and followed the correct procedure.  This procedure did the same thing by asking where to install it on my ITX computer.

From what I understand, the FreeNAS OS is very small and to install it onto a HDD will waist a lot of space, so that's why I'm still trying to install it and run it from a USB drive even if it's a 16 Gb flash drive.  The videos on YouTube make it look so easy even when I follow instructions, but the installation doesn't work as I stated in my previous posts.  Something's missing from the instructions and I can't find the solution.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sounds to me like you've just copied the install file to the usb so when you boot up it runs and asks where you want to install.

what you need to do is insert the usb and the cd disk reboot the pc (the usb needs to be installed so the bios/uefi sees it on the reboot.)

boot to the cd and when it starts the install process and asks where to install freenas point it to the usb drive which will be the only device connected.

when completed you can remove the cd and reboot again and now freenas should startup and run, when tested and it works then connect your other drives, now you can either choose which drive to boot on startup or boot to 1 of the drives always but add the option to choose the other os to it's bootloader.

instructions on how to do the install start at 2.3 in this link everything before that just shows how to create the install media to a cd or usb drive.:- https://doc.freenas....as_install.html

video explaining install process :-

you really want to install freenas to a dedicated pc though and not use it on your daily pc.

Edited by terry1966, 16 February 2016 - 01:31 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday PC Genie.

Did you get FreeNAS to install to the USB stick?

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

I tried all the techniques described here and on YouTube and I just cannot get FreeNAS installed on a USB drive as an operating system.  These methods only install FreeNAS as an installation media to install on a HD.  I want to run FreeNAS from a USB as an operating system, not use the USB to install FreeNAS somewhere else.  When talking about installing FreeNAS on a USB, this needs to be clarified.

I want to run FreeNAS on a computer as if the USB is the primary hard drive.  So far none of these methods work.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

don't know what your doing wrong pc genie (probably our instructions are not clear enough) but it should be a straight forward process to install the os to a usb drive.

see if these instructions help you better :- http://doc.freenas.o...ct-or-usb-flash

don't forget you need either 2 usb drives, 1 with the install software on and 1 to install onto, or a cd with the install software on and the usb drive to install on to.

i'll download freenas and run through the process myself just to see if there are any unexpected issues, but like i said it should be a simple process, boot the install media, tell it to install onto the usb drive and away it goes.

also don't forget the usb stick where the os is going to be installed onto needs to be inserted before you power on your pc.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If still having issues after trying terry's method, lets try a fresh approach.   If your USB stick is MLC flash, you can see if you are successful, but, MLC flash can fail very quickly due to the amount of writes to the drive, (logs)   You should be using a SLC flash USB stick, though hard to find which stick has it.

Please watch, > 

Before you begin.

Plug your USB stick into the internal PC Express card USB port>

Boot, enter EFI/BIOS, Disable Fast Boot, > go Exit Menu, > Save and exit.

Download Unetbootin for Windows and save to the desktop. https://unetbootin.github.io/

Open Disk Management and format the USB stick FAT32, > close the window.

Start Unetbootin, > scroll down and select FreeNas, the latest version will be auto selected.

Double check the destination drive is the correct one, > Click OK.

When complete, restart and boot to the USB stick.

Let us know how it goes.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok sorry to say i can't confirm freenas works because even though i can create and boot the install media on the 1st usb drive (freenas 9.10 from here :- http://www.freenas.o...reenas-release/) and then run through the install process onto the second usb drive, on restart it freezes my pc, can't even access bios, but the process does seem to work and i think the issues i'm having are probably because of an older pc not being able to use uefi/gpt and don't have any newer hardware available to test on at the moment.

will try older and newer versions from here :- http://download.freenas.org/ at some point to see if i can get things to work just out of curiosity now. :D

Edited by terry1966, 07 May 2016 - 02:50 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday PC Genie,

How's the installation going, any success yet?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday PC Genie,

Did you miss my last reply.   Some feedback would help us to know if our suggestions worked or not, it also helps other with similar problems if a solutions was achieved.

Thanks. 

Advertisements

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Sorry for the delay in responding to your message.  I never did get the FreeNAS 9.3 OS on a flash drive; however, when the new version 10.0 came out I was able to get it onto a flash drive.  I don't know what they did to it, but it easily installed on the flash drive with the same procedure that I used on version 9.3.  I've already been using the media server using Windows 10 and now I'll have to learn the FreeNAS commands and menu system to use the computer as a media server.  I am concerned, though, that FreeNAS might format my media storage hard drives and I'll loose my media files.  Since FreeNAS is a different OS from Windows 10, it might require it's own formatting on the storage hard drives.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Great you got FreeNas installed, can't tell why a earlier version failed.

so you have,

Hard Drives:
Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 (MZ-NE500BW)   Windows 8.1 64bit
16GB memory stick,   FreeNas.   

When you Boot, is Windows or Freenas the default boot order??   Or are you using F12 to select which you want??

Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1 Tb (MZ-7KE1T0BW)  Is this linked (in an OS) to windows or FreeNas??

Is it your Media storage?? or do you have an external storage drive?

FreeNas won't format a drive, unless you give instructions to do so.

It can read/write to a ntfs but writing directly to the drive can cause issues but is OK if files are written over a network share.

With both a mounted windows drive or over a network, read permission is default, write permission is disabled.   ]As Admin, set write permission on but leave disabled for any other user on the FreeSan.

Let us know extly what you are going to do.  

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Yes, I will get back to you on this.  For me, learning FreeNAS is a bit overwhelming; but eventually I'll get it and then I can use my Windows OEM somewhere else.  I'll be doing this on a new computer w/o an M.2 memory card.  I'll posting another problem that I have with my RAM.

These are the components that I have used in my newly built ATX computer.

Motherboard:
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Hard Drives:
480GB Toshiba OCZ Trion 100 2.5" 7mm SSD TRN100-25SAT3-480G

RAM:
Patriot Viper PC4-19200 2400MHz
32Gb (2x16) DDR4
32Gb (2x16) DDR4
64.0 Gb Total (2.07 Gb usable)

CPU:
Core i7-6700K LGA1151

CPU Water Cooler:
Enermax LiqMax II 240S Liquid CPU Cooler

Power Supply:
Corsair RMi Series PSU RM850i 850 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Computer Power Supply

Case:
Corsair Obsidian 800D

Hserty

Hserty

• Pip
  • 1 posts

For most android user ,the simple delete is not far enough , due to worry about these has been deleted data appear on the phone again , you need to deeply erase the phone data , to protect the personal infromation leak out, actually ,erase android phone is not difficult ,you  just need to install a erase tools on your computer and connect your phone to the computer, next , it can scan your phone device , you can get a preview that selsct data you want to delete. the last , start to erase these data ,

Edited by Hserty, 21 November 2016 - 04:04 AM.

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

I'm still learning FreeNAS.  I practiced on a old 350 Mb hard drive, but now I have 2 - 6 Tb hard drives.  My problem now is how to allocate space on these hard drive, since I'm not using RAID.  With Windows, I would make partitions; but I can't figure out how to do this with FreeNAS.  I have several uses for FreeNAS: a cloud, a FTP server, an email server, a web server and a media server.

How can I partition specific volumes for each use?