Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can I run my pc safely with this psu?

• Please log in to reply

Spaderv

Spaderv

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello. I just bought a bunch of computer parts for my gaming pc and looked on a website that recommended that I have a psu with 600w. I had just bought a psu that has 520w. I was wondering if it would run just fine since it isn't that far off?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,328 posts
  • MVP

Probably.  What graphics board do you have & how much power does it need?

Spaderv

Spaderv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's he gtx 770 from nvidia. I believe it said it takes 250w

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,328 posts
  • MVP

Their webpage says it takes 230 watts but recommends a 600 watt supply.  I guess it's going to come down to the motherboard and CPU.  How much power does the motherboard need with the CPU and fan that you are using?  Also are you using SSDs or regular drives?

You can go ahead and try it.  IF your setup pulls too much current the PSU will crowbar and drop the output to nothing. 

Spaderv

Spaderv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboard B85M-G R2.0 motherboard. And it's an Intel i5 of some sort for the processor. I'll have to look up the exact name of the cpu though. And just standard. No ssd. 8 gb ram memory if you were curious.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,328 posts
  • MVP

http://dlcdnet.asus....6_B85M-G_R2.pdfsays a minimum of 300 watts for the MOBO and that probably includes a couple of standard drives and some leeway so 300 + 230 = 530.  It will probably work but you would be surer with a 600.

Spaderv

Spaderv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Awesome. Thank you for your time bro. Have a good one

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

If I may chime in with some additional information  :)

Video card manufacturers will often overstate the power requirements that their products require but please note that they do state that the requirement is the "minimum" that should be used, many people have unknowingly used a PSU that was below what has been recommended and never had a problem but others have had RMAs refused when trying to return a card that has gone bad due to an inadequate PSU being used.

Other considerations include the following;

1: Not all PSUs can actually produce the claimed output, especially less well known and unheard of brands.

2: Not all brands of GTX 770 video card require the same power output from the PSU, none as low as 520W though.

3: The amount of amps on the PSUs +12V rail must also match or exceed what is required by any add on video card. 

Post the brand and model name or number of the GTX 770 card and we can point you in the direction of an appropriate PSU.