Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows update won't install (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 21 March 2016 - 08:52 AM

-in the link page you provided, it states that Secure Boot should be temporarily disabled.  This was not mentioned or emphasized in the instructional video. So, does that apply to me and is it... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

For the last week or so, my pc(Dell inspiron 3847 w10 x64) has tried and failed to install windows update kb3124263.  Can this update be d/loaded and installed manually? If so, where can I d/load it from? I also read online that I’m not the only one with this problem and a lot of people have had problems with their systems after installing this update.  One suggestion to fix this continuous problem, that I’m considering, is to  hide the update until windows comes up with a fix.  So, do I install it manually or hide it and wait for the fix.  However, I don’t know how to hide updates in Win10.  Any help is appreciated……..

Thank You

Edited by rigs, 26 January 2016 - 08:27 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hello rigs,

Try downloading it direct from the Microsoft Update Catalog here to download from there open IE in the Search the web and Windows box on the task bar.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Ok, I d/loaded the windows update but I haven’t run it yet. Because now there is another windows update (kb3124262) that is also failing to install.  Could there be something wrong with my computer that’s causing these failures?  How can I check this?

Thank You

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s.

The last part of each URL is randomized, so only people you provide with the URL will be able to find your profile.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, here's the url......hopefully I did it correctly.

http://speccy.pirifo...V2RTot1leD0TRH1

thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Only thing that I can see is some less than reputable software installed;

Anvisoft\Anvi Smart Defender

IObit\LiveUpdate

Did you knowingly install either of these two programs.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

No, I did not know these two programs were installed in my pc.  They do not show up in my installed programs or my uninstaller(geek) how can I find them and remove them?

Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Have you tried CCleaner, if not, give the free download version a go, see here please disregard any other product or service that may be offered at the link and under no circumstances should you use the registry cleaning tool, if CCleaner cannot find and delete Anvisoft\Anvi Smart Defender and IObit\LiveUpdate we need to ask for a second pair of eyes from the malware staff to take a look.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Have you tried disabling the Antivirus program? I see you have McAfee installed. So that might be a suspect that's conflicting with the updates for Windows.

About IObit I would classify it as a PUP as it comes up on Virustotal.

Edited by EmishOrc, 01 February 2016 - 09:44 PM.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

After my last posting, I realized that at one point I had installed iobit’s advance system care 8 and I think the same goes for the anvisoft  but this was when I was running Win8.1.  I did removed them but when checking my directories.  I did found folders for both but do not have an uninstall file.  Are these remnants of their uninstalled programs?   If so, how do I remove them.  Nevertheless, I will run ccleaner and try disabling mcafee.  I've had no problems installing updates before this.  one more thing, what are "citrix online launcher" and "bonjour"? I saw these two in installed programs.  can they be removed?

Thank You

Advertisements

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Try running AdwCleaner that should get rid of it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

After my last posting, I realized that at one point I had installed iobit’s advance system care 8 and I think the same goes for the anvisoft  but this was when I was running Win8.1.  I did removed them but when checking my directories.  I did found folders for both but do not have an uninstall file.  Are these remnants of their uninstalled programs?   If so, how do I remove them.  Nevertheless, I will run ccleaner and try disabling mcafee.  I've had no problems installing updates before this.  one more thing, what are "citrix online launcher" and "bonjour"? I saw these two in installed programs.  can they be removed?

Thank You

Meaning that when you installed Windows 10 you chose the option that allows you to keep the previous OS settings, personal files and most applications etc and that is why the orphan files are present, CCleaner should be able to remove them.

Regarding McAfee, I don`t like it but never mentioned it because Speccy shows that Defender is disabled and so there should not be any conflict, myself I use Defender after years of using Avast free and to date have never had a problem.

Uninstalling McAfee can be tricky so use the Add/Remove procedure in Windows, make sure that Defender has been automatically enabled, download and run the McAfee removal tool (MCPR) from here double check that Defender is still running and then check for updates.

NB: Defender will want to scan your computer, please allow it to do so when it asks and do not put it off.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Ok, I tried installing the windows update with mcafee turned off but it still failed to install.  I also tried to install it manually and it also failed.  I’m only having problem installing the cumulative updates.  I checked my installed updates and all have installed except for the cumulative one.  I don’t know. For now, I have this cumulative update temporarily hidden.  I really don’t want to change antivirus software before exhausting all possible fixes.  I was thinking of resetting win10 but I didn’t know if this would solve the problem.  Maybe, I have a malware in my system..  How can I check………

Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Not qualified or permitted to advise on anything malware related but if it looks likely I will provide you with the GTG malware redirection information.

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

thanks. however, now  I do think that I have malware in my system.  my mcafee firewall keeps shutting off.  I don't know what else could be causing this problem.  I checked and saw my windows firewall is on.   could this be the problem? should I turn it off and see if mcafee's firewall stays on?

thanks