Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows update won't install (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 21 March 2016 - 08:52 AM

-in the link page you provided, it states that Secure Boot should be temporarily disabled.  This was not mentioned or emphasized in the instructional video. So, does that apply to me and is it... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Was Windows Firewall shown to be running in Windows itself or in Speccy, reason that I ask is it is quite often shown to be running in Speccy when it is in fact not. if in Windows disable it and see if the McAfee Firewall stays running, if it does let us know here, if the McAfee Firewall does not stay running please refer to the GTG Malware Redirect information below;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Advertisements

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, thanks for all your help.........hopefully I won't have to come back to this thread.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Was Windows Firewall shown to be running in Windows itself or in Speccy, reason that I ask is it is quite often shown to be running in Speccy when it is in fact not. if in Windows disable it and see if the McAfee Firewall stays running, if it does let us know here

if the McAfee Firewall does not stay running please refer to the GTG Malware Redirect information below;

Curious to know what happened exactly, did you do the checks as detailed for example.

carolterry

carolterry

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have had the same problem with the last two win10 updates.  I have a 3rd party firewall which I have to shut down and then enable win10 firewall.  Both times it solved the problem.  After download and install, I shut off win10 firewall and turn on the other.  No problems.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thank you for your input and welcome to GTG carolterry  :wave:

rigs is being taken care of over on the malware forum so this thread needs to be put on hold until the computer is given the all clear of any infection.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Hello,
My malware problem has been taken care of but before trying to see if the windows cumulative updates will install.  I have a question.  There have three cumulative updates (kb3124263,
Kb3124262, kb3135173) since my problem started.  Which one do I try to install first? Does it matter?

Thank You

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

later cumulative updates should contain the previously released fixes so install cumulative update kb3135173 then have Windows check for updates, just to be on the safe side.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, thank you.  I'll try to install it this weekend.  I'm disabled so I need somebody with me just in case something goes wrong.....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No worries, reply when you are ready  :thumbsup:

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Ok, I downloaded the cumulative update kb3135173  from the windows update site.  I tried twice and both times it said that files were installed.  Whereas before it would stop halfway and stated the files did not installed.  The first time I installed it with mccafee firewall enabled but when restarting my system .  The biue screen stayed at 0% for a couple of minutes and my system restarted.  So, the second time I tried it with my firewall disabled.  This time the blue screen showed 7% and my system restarted.  I guess my problem may not have been a malware problem.  While fixing the malware, other updates were d/loaded and installed without any problems.  I'm going to keep trying, though.......

Thank You   

Edited by rigs, 23 February 2016 - 10:23 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Please try the steps that were suggested in my reply #14

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

Let us know the outcome if you will  :thumbsup:

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

can I use the portable version of the windows repair tool? it may take me a few days to report back........hopefully not, though.

one quick question, after a clean boot that's when I disable my mccafee and try to install the update?  I'm a little confused...

thank you

Edited by rigs, 23 February 2016 - 05:00 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Portable is all good, reply when you are able to  :thumbsup:

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Ok, I ran the windows repair in safe mode, as recommended by the software.  Right now all my 3rd party start ups are off except for mccafee, it automatically started.  So, what’s next?  Should I try installing the windows update?

Sorry it took a few days…..

Thank You.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Temporarily disable McAfee, allow Windows Defender (make sure that it has auto enabled) to protect your computer then use the Check for updates tab in Windows 10 Update & Security.

No problem, we understand that you may have other things to take care of  :thumbsup:

You are welcome  :)