Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

recovery excel file corrupted - URGENT

recovery excel corrupted

• Please log in to reply

andreiareis

andreiareis

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi guys,

My story begins :) when my boss asked me help to recovery some files. She had to do backup on her university computer because the IT guys wanted to format the computer. She used the comodo backup and saved a cbu format.

Well she could get a backup files but missed important ones! So i tried with comodo and was impossible. The only way was get the data that was formatted.

I used the Disk Drill Data Recovery and another one program that i dont remember and search on Hard Disk on computer and also on external disk.

I get the file in the path, the name, and the date created is confirmed that is right one.     

The thing is ... its excel xlsx file and its VERY corrupted! I have tried several methods, programs and i cant get recovery the file! 

I already read your suggestions in some posts and i made some one of them ... only the openoffice get a file but its coded and i cant get think in other thing to fix the file!

I will be very grateful if you could help me with this problem ... i am not a IT professional i am only a bioinformatician...

Cheers,

Andreia

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I assume you have seen this:

http://www.wikihow.c...rupt-Excel-File

Expect your only hope is to throw money at it.

http://www.excelfix.com/

Normally the free download will tell you if it thinks the file can be recovered but if I understand you correctly you are working from a copy rather than the original so odds are it's gone.

andreiareis

andreiareis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi RKinner,

Thanks for your quick answer! :)

Yes, i already tried those methods and the program ... i didnt get results. 

Another way "to turn around the problem" is convert the ASCII code (that i get from openoffice) to a excel file or a table text ... you dont know how to do it dont you? :)  

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

You can translate ASCII easy enough.  One of the hex editors will usually automatically translate it to ASCII so you can see if there is any of your data there.  You may be just looking at random bits. 

This one seems to work and doesn't have any adware baggage

http://www.chmaas.ha...32.htm#download

You download and Save then right click and Extract All.  Run the XVI32.exe  then File, Open and point it at your file.  The text if any will appear in the right column.  You can test it by opening the readme.txt file that came with it.

andreiareis

andreiareis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi again,

i have tried converting but i am looking for Hex code i cant figure out if has the data or not ... the file has 60kb hopefully still have some information.

i attached the file, could you please see if you can convert into delimited text table or something that a "normal" person can read? :) 

many thanks

andreia

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I'm afraid the file is digital garbage.  It is nothing like any Excel file.  If you open an Excel file in Wordpad you will see what one should look like.  Sorry.

andreiareis

andreiareis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

here the files

i have two excel files that i recovered ... a small one have alot NULL but i can read some words like AULAS and ICS ...  but yes i tested a excel file and its quite different dont have the code for worksheets and stuff :( 

but please just check if its only garbage

thanks alot for your time

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Afraid they are both total garbage.    

andreiareis

andreiareis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

ok thanks anyway 

best regards

andreia

jack15

jack15

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Well, you can move the file to another drive, folder or server and check if it is open or else save the Excel file as another format. This may works for you to recover Excel data.

http://www.repairmse...-excel-workbook

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

@Markdc.

You are responding to an old thread that was posted approx three and a half years ago.

Your post has been edited to remove an active link to a site containing password cracking tools.

Please observe our site's" Terms of Use"