Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you cook chicken breast in a microwave ?

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
No fancy dressings, just cooking a chicken breast.

My microwave is 900 watt at high and 600 watt at medium. Chicken breast about 150-200 grm. as bought from the butcher fresh or defrosted from frozen.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

There are plenty of online tips here, best that you choose one though and be sure to heed the many salmonella warnings  ;)    

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Yikes! I didn't know you Geeks were cooking experts as well as computer ones! :)

Hope you enjoy your chicken, John.

Cheers,
Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Yikes! I didn't know you Geeks were cooking experts as well as computer ones! :)

Hope you enjoy your chicken, John.

Cheers,
Chris.

Aye with the Mods being particularly good at making spam disappear  :yes:

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Lol! I hope your advice to John was sound. If his chicken gets ruined, he will be right cheesed off - and a fine kettle of fish that would be! :)

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Thank you all for those comments.

Steaming seems to be the best choice. I have a microwave steamer, but do not know the heat and times needed to use it.

From all accounts, steaming on medium heat (600 watts) for 10 minutes looks popular, although some say high heat (900 watts) for 5 minutes. Any comments ?

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Sorry John, I have never steamed anything in the microwave. We actually hardly ever use our microwave these days, as my husband has got it into his head that microwaved food is bad for you! :)

Many moons ago, I sometimes used to cook chicken pieces in the microwave - but never by steaming. It used to cook then well though!

Sorry I can't help. Maybe Phill will be able to help you more, as he is obviously an expert cook! :)

Hope you didn't mind the jokey comments above, btw. It just rather amused me that a computer tech expert was answering cookery questions!

Cheers,
Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry I can't help. Maybe Phill will be able to help you more, as he is obviously an expert cook! :)

Not me Chris, I'm major disaster in the kitchen rather than a master chef and get told off by the wife for smoking the house out making toast  :lol:

Levity apart, I replied to John`s OP because no else had and I was hoping to point him in the direction of some information that was helpful to him, regarding the cooking times, have a look at the Tesco link here John.

Chicken (pieces); Conventional hob/oven: 10-15 mins; quickasteam microwave cooking bags in 850w microwave: 3-5 mins

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Was going to reply myself just before you did Phill, as I really hate it when I see questions anywhere that remain unanswered.
I have got a couple of (quite old now) books on microwaving food, but I failed to find anything about steaming in there..... so I was very pleased to see that somebody else had replied.

Please let us know if you have cooked the chicken yet John - and if so, did it turn out okay? I hope it did and that the chicken was nice and tender. I think there is nothing worse than tough, overcooked chicken! :(

Btw guys, what is it about the male species that makes them so prone to burning toast? My husband always manages to burn it - probably because he usually leaves the room and forgets about it! (He makes a mean curry though!)

Have a good weekend, both of you!
Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 29 January 2016 - 06:39 PM.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Thanks all of  you. It does not seem very popular to cook chicken breasts in the microwave.

It does work, but unless you are a Gordon Ramsey, it is just about eatable. I used my microwave steamer and it turned out not too bad for a first try, a bit dry but OK.

Going to try oven bake now. 20 minutes at 180 C in a fan  oven. [bleep] it, I am an engineer by profession not a cook.

Since my wife died last year, she was a wonderful cook,  I have been living on ready meals - 2 bucks things - from the Supermarket - heat and eat stuff, but it gets rather boring. I miss the fresh assortment of vegetables.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Very sorry indeed to hear about your wife, John. You must miss her so much..... and it must be very hard having to learn to cook for yourself, especially as she was such a good cook.

I think cooking your chicken in the oven is a far better idea that the microwave! You have to be careful the chicken breasts don't dry out though, as there is not a lot of fat in them to keep them moist. You need to cover the baking tin with foil - and maybe brush them first with a bit of olive or other cooking oil.

Here is a link I found: -

http://www.thekitchn...e-kitchn-211453

Take care and have a good weekend,

Chris.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Anyone want to have a ham sandwich?

hqdefault.jpg

You get what i'm saying? mmm time to eat some bytes!

Edited by EmishOrc, 30 January 2016 - 07:58 AM.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Very sorry indeed to hear about your wife, John. You must miss her so much..... and it must be very hard having to learn to cook for yourself, especially as she was such a good cook.

I think cooking your chicken in the oven is a far better idea that the microwave! You have to be careful the chicken breasts don't dry out though, as there is not a lot of fat in them to keep them moist. You need to cover the baking tin with foil - and maybe brush them first with a bit of olive or other cooking oil.

Here is a link I found: -

http://www.thekitchn...e-kitchn-211453

Take care and have a good weekend,

Chris.

Thanks Chris for those comments and lovely kind words. Yes, I miss her totally , life has no purpose now. Every day just another day nearer the Big Sleep.

That link sounds good, I am going to try it. Feel confident I can handle it.

I will heat my fan oven to 180 C = 356 F  which should be OK for 400 F, allowing for the fan effect.

Could I use a small oven proof dish and lid ? The Pyrex style of thing. It would make things a lot easier than messing around with foil.

Edited by John Bull, 30 January 2016 - 09:22 AM.

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Sorry to hear you feel so desperate, John. A year is only a short time as far as the mourning process goes, I believe. Just take it one day at a time and try to do one thing each day that you enjoy. Don't give up hope that life can improve, little by little. I hope that you have some good friends/family to help you through.

With regard to the pyrex dish, I didn't know the answer myself, but looked it up and it seems that it can be dangerous to use pryex without any liquid, as the dish can explode! Please see the following link: -

https://uk.answers.y...16155513AANdMv6

I hope life gradually improves for you and I wish you well.

Chris

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Sorry to hear you feel so desperate, John. A year is only a short time as far as the mourning process goes, I believe. Just take it one day at a time and try to do one thing each day that you enjoy. Don't give up hope that life can improve, little by little. I hope that you have some good friends/family to help you through.

With regard to the pyrex dish, I didn't know the answer myself, but looked it up and it seems that it can be dangerous to use pryex without any liquid, as the dish can explode! Please see the following link: -

https://uk.answers.y...16155513AANdMv6

I hope life gradually improves for you and I wish you well.

Chris

Thanks again Chris. Last thing I want is an explosion.

I had better either live up to my signature -

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)

Or change it !

John