Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Battery does not hold charge (Sony Vaio)

• Please log in to reply

craz26

craz26

• Pip
  • 9 posts

The Problem began the same day I put a new Battery I bought for my Sony Vaio Model VGN-NR260E Laptop, running windows 10.

Outside of the computer it holds it perfectly, just not when its hooked up to the laptop. The problem may lie elsewhere beside the battery itself

but dont know where. I do not have the Sony Vaio Power managment installed on my laptop. If I get it not sure if it will solve my problem.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello craz26,

Outside of the computer it holds it perfectly, just not when its hooked up to the laptop. 

Understand what you mean by the first part but not the second, please explain what exactly is happening.

Is the battery an exact like for like replacement Sony Vaio battery, post a link to the battery that you have purchased so we can take a look.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

craz26

craz26

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Understand what you mean by the first part but not the second, please explain what exactly is happening.

Is the battery an exact like for like replacement Sony Vaio battery, post a link to the battery that you have purchased so we can take a look.

Sorry for the confusion, What i was trying to say, it starts draining faster than expected when its actually plugged into the laptop. It goes

from 100% to 95% within minutes, which a new battery shouldn't do.

Here is the link for the Battery I Got.

Yes it is an exact like of the old, and i searched for the same exact battery model that came with the laptop.

One more question, Does windows 10 has something to do with it? Originally the OP system the laptop was made for is Vista. My Sony Vaio model vgn-nr260e is a vista laptop, but im running Windows 10 on it.  Sorry if i'm asking confusing questions.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Polite reminder.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

As I suspected but never second guess so asked  :thumbsup:

Battery looks good and at a fair price too  :)

I also have a Sony Vaio upgraded from Vista to 10 via Windows 8 and 8.1 and have no such problem/s.

What I suggest;

Make sure that the power plan is set to Balanced and not High Performance, see tutorial provided courtesy of Brink here

Read through my canned text below and then follow the steps suggested for exercising a notebook battery;

Some but not all of the below is relevant to your question but the information may help others who read your topic looking for guidance themselves.

To prolong the life expectancy of a notebook battery it should be allowed to run out of charge once in a while and then be fully recharged again, this is sometimes called exercising the battery.

It is not a good idea to use a notebook with both the battery and AC adapter/charger in place as it will shorten the life of the battery, this because the battery becomes reliant on being fully charged all of the time and so when the AC adapter/charger is removed the battery will quickly lose it`s charge, not all batteries do have but what many older ones do have is a memory cell (EEPROM) which stores the charge amount/content rating and this is often what becomes affected by continuous charging from the AC adapter/charger, typical symptoms may include not charging at all and only charging to a certain percentage and no further.

To exercise a removable notebook battery you should charge the battery to 100% when you are not going to be using the notebook away from a wall socket power outlet for an extended period of time, turn off and remove the AC adapter/charger and the battery, store the battery in a safe place, reconnect and use the AC adapter to power the notebook while you have access to a mains power socket, every once in a while (1 to 2 months) remove the AC adapter, replace the battery, use the notebook until the battery charge is depleted, connect the AC adapter/charger, charge the battery up to 100% and then repeat the very same steps as above.

Notebook and Netbook users who`s computers have integrated batteries should follow any guidelines provided by the manufacturer regarding best power management and settings but would benefit from once in a while allowing the battery to become empty of all charge by following the above steps, then fully charging the battery back up to 100% and then reverting back to the recommended power management steps that the manufacturer has suggested, these steps may include charging the battery up to 100% and then removing the AC adapter/charger, using the computer until the battery charge depletion level reaches the pre-set minimum allowed, reconnect the AC adapter/charger and then fully charge the battery up to 100% again and repeat the process.

Please note that the above will not help with a battery that has been damaged by being continuously connected to mains power or has reached it`s maximum charge amount limit/life expectancy.

If your notebook battery will not fully charge it suggests that it may be damaged or has been charged the maximum amount of times and so you should not allow it to lose all charge until you have a suitable replacement battery, this because a damaged or naturally expired battery may not begin to charge at all.

Some further information regarding how to prolong the life of a Notebook etc battery which includes calibrating it http://batterycare.net/en/guide.html

craz26

craz26

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thank you Phillpower2 

I will follow the instructions on exercising a notebook battery, However; I never knew that you needed to exercise a laptop battery to prolong its life, might have learned something new today. Thanks for the helpful tip.

Edited by craz26, 02 February 2016 - 09:19 PM.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

^ Also another note that when turning your laptop on it will drain about %1 to %3 of your battery charge.

In other terms make sure to have as less programs running as possible and to make sure your computer is not heating itself up. Heat can impact and drain your battery much faster. Having good air intake might help it's durability a bit better.

Edited by EmishOrc, 03 February 2016 - 04:46 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thank you Phillpower2 

I will follow the instructions on exercising a notebook battery, However; I never knew that you needed to exercise a laptop battery to prolong its life, might have learned something new today. Thanks for the helpful tip.

You are welcome  :)

Post back with an update for us when you have done the above.

craz26

craz26

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

reply to EmishOrc

Thank you for your expertise on this matter, However; I barely use the laptop except on several occasions when i need it. It just lies around for days until I use it don't run any programs except for Internet (Firefox). I will remove the battery every time i turn the computer off, since i noticed that the battery discharges even when its not in use, when left plugged in. 

Edited by craz26, 03 February 2016 - 03:45 PM.

craz26

craz26

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Reply to Phillpower2

Here is an update, I followed your instructions about exercising a battery, discharged and recharged again to 100%. Removed the battery and using the computer with just the AC adapter/Charger. Will plug the battery in later and use it until it discharges.

Edited by craz26, 05 February 2016 - 06:00 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:thumbsup:

Make sure that your power settings are set to Balanced and not High Performance, see Brink tutorial here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you craz26, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

craz26

craz26

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Sorry for the late reply, the issue was not resolved.  the battery still loses charge quickly. Still goes from 100% to 96%, 94% 90% within minutes. I have been following your instructions on exercising the battery, it didn't help at all.  I wonder why my laptop is doing this with a 11.1v/5200mAh battery? The old one was a 11.1v/4800mAh VGP-BPS9/B  new one 11.1v/5200mAh VGP-BPS9A/B

Have any idea why its doing this?