Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Screen flickers (Resolved)

Best Answer terry1966 , 30 January 2016 - 11:19 AM

it's been pointed out to me by philpower that particular laptop uses a led display not lcd so there isn't a seperate inverter in it, so that would limit the problem to either the cable connection o... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

newcomer21

newcomer21

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I have a compaq presario CQ57 that the screen flickers has lines running through and you can't make out anything that is on the screen.  You can see where the windows 7 start button is but it is flickering.  I can connect an external monitor and it works fine.  Is the lcd going out our maybe the video card?

Any help is appreciated.

Newcomer

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

seeing how you have no issues when using an external monitor then it's not the video card(onboard graphics) or anything else to do with the laptop/motherboard, so yes the issue is to do with your screen or more than likely the inverter that powers the screen in my opinion.

:popcorn:

newcomer21

newcomer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Is there a way to test to determine if it's the screen or inverter?

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
✓  Best Answer

it's been pointed out to me by philpower that particular laptop uses a led display not lcd so there isn't a seperate inverter in it, so that would limit the problem to either the cable connection or the display itself.

if you move the screen backwards and forwards does that effect the display? if so then that might point to a loose or faulty cable connection between the motherboard and display.

sorry i can't think of anyway to test if it's the screen itself except to actually replace it with a new one.

video to show how to replace the display :-

Edited by terry1966, 30 January 2016 - 11:30 AM.

newcomer21

newcomer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Thanks so much for your help and the video link.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

your welcome. :thumbsup:

newcomer21

newcomer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

One more question.  The screen has started working again.  Is it possible for the screen to be going out or is it most likely a loose connection?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Terry did mention this possibility in reply #4 so you perhaps overlooked it.

The video cable/ribbon can come loose due to nothing more than regular, everyday use but is most often caused by the notebook top cover being opened too wide.

Edit to add replacement cable details;

New LCD Cable for HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57 CQ57-100 CQ57-200 CQ57-300 CQ57-400 series  it is worth inspecting the present cable first before ordering in case it is only loose and not damaged, only undertake the task if you are confident enough to do so though.

Edited by phillpower2, 03 February 2016 - 11:11 AM.
As per the above.

newcomer21

newcomer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I did see that.  I guess my question is if the screen is going bad will it flicker and then come back on again or does it usually mess up and then not come back on?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

It depends, with age and use the brightness and colours may diminish over time but any physical damage such as being knocked could cause a screen to come on and then go out permanently even when there is no signs of any damage, a screen failing naturally will often give warning signs such as dead pixels or only half a screen showing etc.

if you move the screen backwards and forwards does that effect the display? 

If you answer the question that was asked above it will give us a better idea of what may be going on.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be honest there really is not a lot you can do except open it up check the cable looks ok and is firmly connected, if it is and you're still having problems then try a replacement screen, not something people have hanging around unless they work with repairing laptops, so would mean you purchasing a new one.

like we've said problem is less likely to be anything else because it works fine with external monitor.

intermittent screen flickering, loss of brightness, lines etc, etc can all be signs of a failing screen before it finally gives up the ghost and displays nothing.

Edited by terry1966, 04 February 2016 - 10:12 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you newcomer21, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

newcomer21

newcomer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Sorry for the delay.  Looks like I may have it worked out.  Thanks so much for your help.  This site is awesome!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Looks like I may have it worked out.

what did you do to sort the problem? fit a new screen?

newcomer21

newcomer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

The screen is working and I checked the cable and it may have been loose.  I don't know for certain until it messes up again.