Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot download files

• Please log in to reply

smlapoi

smlapoi

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello all!

I'm assuming my computer has virus or malware or whatnot because whenever I try to download files it says they contain a virus and are automatically deleted. I've been able to work around it until now as I need to download my W2 to file my taxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd rather not have to wipe my computer but I'm just about to that point.

Thanks!!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Following is a workaround for Vista/Win 7. (Will probably work for 8 & 10)  This defeats the security feature that calls for the scan so all downloads should be manually scanned before using.

Copy the lines between the stars (but not the stars):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
"ScanWithAntiVirus"=dword:00000001

Open notepad and paste the above into it. Verify that you have it all then File, Save As, (to your desktop) "NoScan.reg" OK (Make sure you includes the quotes around the file name)

Close notepad. Right click on NoScan.reg and select Merge. Allow it to merge. (If you don't see the Merge option you probably left off the quotes and notepad tacked on .txt)

What I think is happening is that AVG (or some other anti-virus tho AVG seems to be the most common) attempts to stop Windows Defender and take its place in the scan but somehow breaks Windows Defender. No proof yet. This may not fix IE but oddly enough it fixes Chrome and Firefox. With IE I have had to uninstall and revert back to an earlier version like IE 8 before it started working again. Then reinstalling IE 10 broke it again.

Firefox has another possibility for a workaround:
If you have Firefox you can bypass the whole problem. Type in:
about:config
and hit Enter
then scroll down until you find

browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone

then right click on it and Toggle. Close and reopen Firefox and try to download something in Firefox.

I have seen reports that renaming the Windows Defender folder in Program Files will fix this too. Don't know if it's because they had ZA and that killed it or if it's because Windows Defender is involved.

If you can get it to download:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop. 

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version. 

•  
  • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer. 
  • click on the Addition.txt box. 
  • Press Scan button. 
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.  
  • Please copy and paste that log back here and also the second log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply. 
  •  

smlapoi

smlapoi

• Topic Starter
    • Pip
    • 3 posts

Hi!

So I tried it and it merged successfully, unfortunately I'm running IE and it did not fix the problem. I got the notice again that the file contained a virus and was deleted. Anything else I can try or do I bite the bullet and wipe my computer?

Thanks for the help!

~Sam

smlapoi

smlapoi

• Topic Starter
    • Pip
    • 3 posts

If it helps any, I just went into my system settings and whatever is in my computer shut down Windows Defender and Windows Firewall and I have a notification regarding harmful software being detected but it won't allow me to view details or clean system. Whatever my computer has, it's pretty much taken over.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
    • 24,598 posts
    • MVP

What version of Windows is this and is it 32 or 64 bits?

I have a method for getting a different browser without using IE.  We can try to get Opera and see if that will work.

In Vista or Windows 7:

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, (Continue).  

For Win 8 or 10 hit the Windows key + x then choose Command Prompt (Admin)  or search for cmd.exe and then when it finds it, right click and Run As Admin.  Yes.

Type with an Enter after each  line in the code box.  Text not in the box is the expected response.  I put in two spaces where only one goes so it's easier to see where one space is.
    ftp  ftp.opera.com
    Connected to get2.opera.com.
    220 (vsFTPd 2.0.7)
    User (get2.opera.com:(none)):

anonymous

331 Please specify the password.
    Password: 

any

230 Login successful.

ftp>
    cd  pub/opera/win/1151/us

250 Directory successfully changed.

(After one of these steps you may get a windows firewall prompt that it has blocked the program.  Tell it to unblock and do it quickly so your session doesn't time out)

ftp> 

binary

200 Switching to Binary mode.

ftp> 

get  Opera_1151_int_Setup.exe

200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
    150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for Opera_1151_int_Setup.exe (10307952 b
    ytes).

(It will take it some time to download the file.  There is no indication that anything is happening so just give it a few minutes.)

226 File send OK.
    ftp: 10307952 bytes received in 119.73Seconds 86.09Kbytes/sec.
    ftp> 

bye

221 Goodbye.

c:\Windows\System32> 

Opera_1151_int_Setup.exe

Wait a while and eventually the installer window for Opera will show up.  

See if you can download something without the evil error message.

Alternatively:

Got a friend with a PC who could download the FRST.exe and FRST64.exe files?  and the  Firefox install program

https://download-ins... Setup 42.0.exe

and put them on a CD or a USB drive?