Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Want to Create a Forum for my WoT Clan ... help?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

I want to build a clan forum for my World of Tanks Clan Can someone help me get this done? I tried to do this on a 'free' website, but that doesn't seem to be very user/creator friendly.

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Creating a forum like that from scratch would require seasoned programming experience and is time consuming. Lucky today we have pre-made scripts which you can use to make your forum, these make the process easy as 1-2-3 but before you use any of them there are a few pre-requisites.

1. Hosting:   You will need to host the forum somewhere, this in simple terms means putting it up on the web. For your case the best option is to use web hosting provided by several websites out there. You can both buy web hosting or get it for free, or you could be the host yourself by port forwarding and using something like xampp or IIS ( xampp is good for beginners it is package of the essentials you will need, the best option is to use web hosting provided by resellers though). either on your own computer or on a server.
  2. A Database: The pre-made script you use will need a database to store all the data in such as data of all the users, posts, threads etc.( Ill later on in this post give out my favorite web host which gives all these services for free.)  This is commonly a Mysql database.
  3. The Script: Due to the problems i mentioned above, people usually use precoded scripts which they manage through a Administrative Panel  some of them are free like MyBB While other professional ones which I personally believe are better cost some money. My favorite one is XenForo, but there are many more like vBulletin, GeeksToGo uses IP Board.    

Google the term Forum Software and many more should pop up, you can find live previews of the administrative panels and features of each script. Once you have decided what you will use download the files and then upload them to your web host. Using the inbuilt cpanel File Uploader  if the hosting service provider you picked has one or use FTP. If you have used a server then you will do this to your htdocs or wwwroot folder.

Then there is a install page which takes in details such as the name you want for forum , the administrator credentials and the database credentials. This page configures the forum software to run according to your needs and sets up the database connectiion. You can then basically modify anything using the Administrative Panel provided by the script you use and install plugins built by other content creators.

My recommendation for you is MyBB using 0zed's hosting service, which both are absolutely free and don't forcefully put ads. MyBB has a detailed installation guide which you can use to understand how to install it better.

Carefully read the MyBB installation guide and follow it http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/I wish you the best.

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Free builders are typically pretty limited in options, others are paid subscriptions for website builders or wordpress themes which will typically cost you the same, builders can go up to $400 a year though depends on the list of features, so I think it's best to go with WordPress in that case.
WordPress can easily be upgraded with one of the countless plugins (including a bunch of free ones).

You can also google/search on Themeforest for one of the gaming wordpress themes which will have all included plugins and features in there.
For example http://www.skywarrio...meaddict-theme/, you can check out their list of plugins and design if you want to do it on your own.
Good luck ;-)

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 229 posts

Another forum solution is phpBB: it's free and open source:

They have their own support forums where you can get help with configuration and usage issues, etc.