Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BleepingComputer Sued By Enigma.

• Please log in to reply

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

*Attention*

Please Help BleepingComputer Defend it's Freedom of Speech!

EnigmaSoft is suing us, because of a negative review of SpywareHunter.

EnigmaSoft doesn't like this post and instead of defending their product they're bullying us into censoring it. In the past Enigma Software has being a bully to other I.T and review websites. 

We are asking for your help to defend the lawsuit. It is true, but we cannot fight alone by ourselves, but you can help crowdfund our defense. By donating you are helping BleepingComputer move 1 inch to freedom and to keeping our site from being taken down. If BleepingComputer loses this battle it will only embolden EnigmaSoft to silence other I.T blogs, sites and Social Media.

"We also need your help to spread the word to other sites as well to                                                          help our cause"

Donation Page: https://www.gofundme...efend-bc/donate

Donation Page: https://www.gofundme...efend-bc/donate(PayPal)

Edited by EmishOrc, 01 February 2016 - 09:46 PM.

Advertisements

quietman7

quietman7

• Visiting Consultant
  • 10 posts
  • MVP
Thank you.

Edited by quietman7, 01 February 2016 - 10:18 PM.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Of course SpywareHunter is a rogue application. They criticize and blame companies like they have got nothing to do. They are doing it for fun and we all know it. The company has failed right from the beginning and tripped over it's feet since day 1. Anything in their company that defines "Spy" are bad. Including StarWare.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Thank you. 

A thank you in a good or bad way?

Edited by EmishOrc, 02 February 2016 - 12:50 AM.

quietman7

quietman7

• Visiting Consultant
  • 10 posts
  • MVP
Thank you for spreading the word.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Hello Everyone:

I have been with Geeks to Go for  9 Years, and have learned SO MUCH about the Internet, Malware and what it can cause for problems, and have accepted advice from everyone from Blair (Admin) on down - G2G Staff are knowledgeable and I know this, because we have the best staff around!  I may be biased, but I cannot help but to come to the defense of ANY site that is providing reviews about antimalware or antivirus software - Bleeping Computer is one of these sites.

The staff of any website that provides help, whether it be technical, moral or other types of support should NOT be subject to legal action simply because BC decides that a piece of software that it reviews is not good.  There are MANY pieces of software that have been used over the 9 years I have been a user and a former GeekU student - If someone told me that a piece of software was bad, and it came from one of my former instructors (like Metalica for example) I would LISTEN to him.  There is a bond of TRUST that is formed when you become a member of an online Family - and there also is a RESPONSIBILITY to inform our userbase of programs that may or may not be good. 

We have to support each other, and we have to allow for a reviewer to dissent, or say that a product is bad - Would anyone care to argue that CryptoLocker is a good thing? - Of course not, because it is a VIRUS/Malware, which can cause a lot of damage.  Lawrence Abrams knows what the heck he is talking about - He and other sites (Like G2G, WTT,Besttechie, etc) were pioneers in the fight to remove malware. ScHwErV always used to say that "Learning Never Stops" and he is right.

Trying to sue an online resource that provides a service and has a negative opinion about a piece of software, and makes it known is as silly as Me being sued because I may say and PRINT ONLINE  that I do not like Mcaffe or Norton Products - They SUCK, and in order to work, they "intwine" themselves all over the OS, and it becomes almost IMPOSSIBLE to remove all the way, without a lot of tweaks and removal tools.

I wish there was another way I could help them - I hope that they are able to weather the storm, and I hope that someone in the courts is smart enough to realize that this is a silly lawsuit - and can dismiss it with predjudice and therefore protect the free speech rights of all forums and tech sites. 

Brian

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 32,508 posts

If someone told me that a piece of software was bad, and it came from one of my former instructors (like Metalica for example) I would LISTEN to him.  There is a bond of TRUST that is formed when you become a member of an online Family - and there also is a RESPONSIBILITY to inform our userbase of programs that may or may not be good. 

We have to support each other, and we have to allow for a reviewer to dissent, or say that a product is bad - Would anyone care to argue that CryptoLocker is a good thing? - Of course not, because it is a VIRUS/Malware, which can cause a lot of damage.

Thank you for your trust. :)
As I wrote on Bleeping Computer: forums like theirs and this one have helped my education and have helped me form educated opinions, which I am always ready to review if someone brings up a good point. But trying to silence people with an opinion, especially good people like quietman7, is not going to look good to any potential customers that I can imagine. Does anyone remember the lawsuits that Zango filed for being called spyware? Here's an example. It made them the laughing stock of the industry. Something similar may happen again. Knowing Lawrence, he will not back down.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Lawrence Abrams is a good man I must say. But Enigma shouldn't really be whining over a single bad review. Even BleepingComputer receive negative reviews from people. That comes from %50 of the [bleep] scammers that try and post health products on technical support forums. 

In my way Enigma has lost my appetite all together. I hope BleepingComputer will win this and come out victorious.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

If someone told me that a piece of software was bad, and it came from one of my former instructors (like Metalica for example) I would LISTEN to him.  There is a bond of TRUST that is formed when you become a member of an online Family - and there also is a RESPONSIBILITY to inform our userbase of programs that may or may not be good. 

We have to support each other, and we have to allow for a reviewer to dissent, or say that a product is bad - Would anyone care to argue that CryptoLocker is a good thing? - Of course not, because it is a VIRUS/Malware, which can cause a lot of damage.

Thank you for your trust. :)
As I wrote on Bleeping Computer: forums like theirs and this one have helped my education and have helped me form educated opinions, which I am always ready to review if someone brings up a good point. But trying to silence people with an opinion, especially good people like quietman7, is not going to look good to any potential customers that I can imagine. Does anyone remember the lawsuits that Zango filed for being called spyware? Here's an example. It made them the laughing stock of the industry. Something similar may happen again. Knowing Lawrence, he will not back down.

Metalica:

You are welcome!!  These spyware companies are ridiculous - They spend their time making bad products and then saying they are good to use, confusing people that are not computer savvy, and making them believe that they should use their products.  There are times that, as a computer savvy type guy, that I want to DESTROY some of the Upchannel for this garbage - I have seen a lot of it, and even now it is getting worse and worse - Lucky for us, we have people like you, who spend a LOT of time on MANY tech and Malware Removal forums to help people, or we would be in a lot of trouble!!

If we could get rid of domains that are spyware delivery channels, that would be awesome, but I am not sure that could happen - That could make our jobs easier, but we will always run into malware, spyware and viruses, and programs that do nothing but slow us down.  We are a Family - We are a TEAM - and as such, we will always need each other from time to time.

Take Care my Friend :)

Brian

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 32,508 posts
Hear, hear:

https://blog.malware...edom-of-speech/